69 to 65 without side panel. Fan needed?

visioner124f

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hi guys,

my gaming pc gpu goes from 69 to 65 while gaming if I take off the side panel of the case.

zotac gtx 1070 mini
i7 7770k

case bequit 600 specs:
■ Fan @ front1 x be quiet! Pure Wings 2 |140mm 900rpm
Fan @ rear1 x be quiet! Pure Wings 2 | 120mm 1,200rpm
Dimensions (L x W x H), (mm)Front: 140 x 140 x 25, Rear: 120 x 120 x 25
Fan speed @ 12V (rpm)Front: 900, Rear: 1,200
Noise level @ 12V (dB(A))Front: 17.1, Rear: 16.8
Air flow @ 12V (cfm / m3/h)Front: 55.8 / 94.80, Rear: 41.7 / 70.84
Air pressure @ 12V (mm H2O)Front: 0.6, Rear: 0.9
Voltage range (V DC)5–12
Input power (W)Front: 1.08, Rear: 1.04
Input current (A)0.09
Connector3-pin
Lifespan (h / 25°C)80,000
Fan controllerManual 3-step fan controller (3x 3-pin)

Optional Fan Installation
Front (mm)1x 140
Top (mm)2x 140/ 120
Bottom (mm)1x 140/ 120
Side panel (mm)1x 120

From sensing with the hands I think the problem is that the zotac mini blows hot air in the center on the case and there it gets pretty hot. There is only one uptake fan, which also blows air in the center (from the front).
Also, my mobo is z270 i can sit the gup on the upper PCIe or lower. Lower gets more air from the fan, upper has more free space in the center (there is ssd on the bottom).

■ Should i install 2 fans: one exhaust top and intake front? Or Can I install just the intake front?

■ The exhaust and intake are the same fan just mounted in reverse oriantation?

■ I am ordering these, are they ok? 2x bequit 140mm fans
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ECWKE3A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1X0M9U5WW1195&psc=1

thank you!

additional dettails
Also i had a custom curve on msi afterburner, otherwise gpu temps are 75 while gaming, 60 idle. Cpu and ssd are 30 idl, i think my card has some cooling problem maybe the paste.

Solution
Sure that zotac 1070 has the old zero fan profile thing going on so idle temps of 60c aren't anything strange.

Your load temps look fine to me.
Add another 140mm front intake if you feel the need , don't use side fans , they create noise & you'll have to buy/add extra filtering for them

Use afterburner to create a custom fan profile , I personally hate the zero fan idea , 10-15% at 30c will keep that GPU below 40c at all times for desktop use

Well I don't know what fans you have set as intake or exhaust. So i'm gonna just give you some general info.
The reason I'm telling you this is because I've seen some pretty stupid airflow setups.

So... That being said.. in general...
ALL bottom and front fans should be intake fans pulling in cool air from outside the case.
ALL rear and top fans should be exhaust fans blowing heat out.

Why?
1. Your trying to create a wind tunnel or at least a windy case that will easily be able to pull that cool air brought in from the front area across the heat sync on the CPU and out the back.
2. Heat rises. So naturally the coolest air will be near the floor. Once heated the hottest air will naturally rise up near the fans on the top and the top fans will blow it out.

It's possible that some computers could do better with a non-typical airflow design. This can happen if there's an area of swirling and re-heated air that just gets hotter and hotter. Can happen more often when a GPU doesn't use a blower style fan on the GPU.
(This is why nVidia's "Founders Edition" card uses a blower fan. It's better for overall airflow but people don't like them cause blower fans can be loud.)

My PC as an example...
1. 2 (120mm) intake fans in the front
2. 1 (120mm) & 1 (140mm) exhaust fans on the top
3. 1 (120mm) exhaust fan in the rear
Plus device fans... 1 on my PSU, 1 on my CPU and 2 on my video card.

Device Fans: 4
Case Fans: 5
Total Fans: 9

My PC runs cool all the time.

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
@dark_lord69

"So... That being said.. in general...
ALL bottom and front fans should be intake fans pulling in cool air from outside the case.
ALL rear and top fans should be exhaust fans blowing heat out."

Sir, what about side fans?
I guess they are intake?

Sure that zotac 1070 has the old zero fan profile thing going on so idle temps of 60c aren't anything strange.

Your load temps look fine to me.
Add another 140mm front intake if you feel the need , don't use side fans , they create noise & you'll have to buy/add extra filtering for them

Use afterburner to create a custom fan profile , I personally hate the zero fan idea , 10-15% at 30c will keep that GPU below 40c at all times for desktop use

Solution

Good question. Those can go either way depending on your fan setup.
For myself... I would make it an exhaust fan because it would be next to GPU which DOESN'T use a blower fan.
On the other hand I could make it an intake fan to add balance to the system fans. (Currently running 2 in and 3 out)

I would check my temps before and after adding the fan and after mounting it in the other direction.

visioner124f

Prominent
May 12, 2017

thanks you for your reply. On top i don t have the dust filter, do I need to buy it along with the fans? would be exhaust one so..