Question 6900XT Questions

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I was able to buy a new 6900XT for $800 (CDN). I was originally looking at trying to grab a ~$450 6750XT, but it was sort of a "buy it now, ask questions later" (sold out in 42 minutes). I can hold until early January.

At this point, other than XMP the RAM, I don't plan on overclocking my CPU (Ryzen 5 5600) or GPU (pretty paranoid when it comes to this kind of a thing). A few questions:
  1. I am gaming in 1440p. In the future, if I decide to go up to 4k (~5 years), would the 6900XT even be able to keep up?
  2. I was already planning on buying a new PSU (850W), but should I go for this ATX 3.0? Should I go higher PSU if I have a few SSDs?
  3. By not overclocking, how much am I shortchanging myself? 10-15 FPS?
  4. I don't quite understand the "Base clock" vs "Boost clock". I assume the former is the regular non overclocked rating? Seems pretty high if that's the case (I have been seeing the base clock of 1825Mhz).

Thanks!

1. 5 years is a very long time, and given the way developers are going, probably not. It would handle current 4K titles, but likely nothing "modern" in 5 years.
  2. ATX 3.0 is a consideration in your case, but probably not required. It may or may not be the new standard, time will tell. SSDs wont affect your power consumption.
  3. Depends on titles, but probably not much.
  4. Base clock is the "default" clock speed of the card, under load it would run at that speed at max. Boost clock is essentially a factory tested OC, and the card will run at the higher speeds if thermals and power allow. There is no risk in using this.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
  1. 5 years is a very long time, and given the way developers are going, probably not. It would handle current 4K titles, but likely nothing "modern" in 5 years.
  2. ATX 3.0 is a consideration in your case, but probably not required. It may or may not be the new standard, time will tell. SSDs wont affect your power consumption.
  3. Depends on titles, but probably not much.
  4. Base clock is the "default" clock speed of the card, under load it would run at that speed at max. Boost clock is essentially a factory tested OC, and the card will run at the higher speeds if thermals and power allow. There is no risk in using this.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I just heard that the 6900XT has power spikes, so I was hoping the 850W would be good enough (it is recommended by ASUS).

Would the 6900XT be a lot better than the 6750XT (most certainly better than my current RX 570 4gb lol) for 1440p gaming? Or is 1440p "maxed" out and 4k is going to takeover?

Last edited: