Question 6900xt stuttering ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
Hi guys, first of all :
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41467986
Psu : 650W Gold
Screen : 144hz 1ms 1080p
Allright, last week i happily got my hand on an rx6900 xt as an upgrade for my aorus 1080ti - 11gb.

I'm mostly playing warzone, semi-competitive ( few tournaments here and there ).
Now my trouble is since i installed my new Gpu i feel like i'm not having the fps for my buck here. i'm mostly running around 140 fps with frequent drops around 50-60 fps (i was doing 90-110 solid and smooth fps with my 1080).
Also i feel like my game is running like a square wheeled car. like it's not smooth and fluid but stuttering and rocky.

I installed my drivers back with DDU and clean install. updated my bios to the lastest. tried activating / deactivating XMP profile.

I'm feeling lost here and i don't know where to look at ? Cpu bottleneck? Psu too weak? ( would give blue screen and crash no ? ) Any way program i could run that would help me ?

Thanks for you help !

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Okay, thanks for the info, like I said I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of PSUs. So are we going to downvote everyone who suggested its a PSU issue or just me because I had faulty reasoning, which apparently is everyone who suggested it?

The OP mentioned PSU too weak in his first post. Two people prior to your answer discussed that comment by the OP but neither suggested replacing the PSU as you did. The OP purchased a new PSU based on your recommendation. While I do agree that a higher wattage quality PSU is preferable in his overall use case, his current PSU was properly powering the system and absorbing the spike as a good PSU should do. That is how they work. Otherwise it would be crashing.

So yes you did get a downvote and a callout because it was deserved. Your answer is not going to solve this persons question, and on top of that you cause him to needlessly spend money to fix a problem. Lest you forget real people are on the other end of these conversations, with real money that they may be spending based upon your responses. So it is intrinsic upon you to be as correct as possible in your answers, and if you are "not familiar with all the ins and outs of PSUs" maybe take a step back before providing information about them that may cause someone to needlessly spend money. And if you're going to call out a person who is telling you that your information is incorrect, you should be able to both back up your position, and not have the facts of the actual post you are in contradict your argument.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Worst case scenario, he spends money and the problem persists, so yea Helper800, you're the cause of the purchase, you get the downvote when you not only ignore the warnings others mentioned, but insist even though you "don't know the ins and outs of PSUs". The reason for the downvote is not personal as such, but also to keep other people with the same problem from spending money on something they don't need.

It is also rather unfortunate that you said "RAM doesn't increase FPS that much unless..." and then you go on to describe exactly what I and others suggested said might be the problem. OP Was running default RAM speeds, and was thus leaning on his CPU's upper end capabilities. More frames, more throughput, more MT/s needed to sustain the throughput.

I asked the owners of the 2 PC's that I mentioned run Warzone and actually both of them at 1080p can hit 170+ spikes once in a while but the avg. FPS is around 160'ish, 3700x + 2070 Super & 3800x + 2080 Ti. Both have c16 3200 MT/s 2x16 GB.

If OP wants more frames, he's going to need a speedier CPU, or some seriously tuned RAM timings, unfortunately.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
Worst case scenario, he spends money and the problem persists, so yea Helper800, you're the cause of the purchase, you get the downvote when you not only ignore the warnings others mentioned, but insist even though you "don't know the ins and outs of PSUs". The reason for the downvote is not personal as such, but also to keep other people with the same problem from spending money on something they don't need.

It is also rather unfortunate that you said "RAM doesn't increase FPS that much unless..." and then you go on to describe exactly what I and others suggested said might be the problem. OP Was running default RAM speeds, and was thus leaning on his CPU's upper end capabilities. More frames, more throughput, more MT/s needed to sustain the throughput.

I asked the owners of the 2 PC's that I mentioned run Warzone and actually both of them at 1080p can hit 170+ spikes once in a while but the avg. FPS is around 160'ish, 3700x + 2070 Super & 3800x + 2080 Ti. Both have c16 3200 MT/s 2x16 GB.

If OP wants more frames, he's going to need a speedier CPU, or some seriously tuned RAM timings, unfortunately.
So 5000 series cpu or faster ram ?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
5000 series, but let me straight up tell you that it seems Warzone struggles getting near or past the 200 FPS mark. I'm building a 5800x atm for my cousin, but I'm of course lacking a GPU and 2 parts are delayed, the best I'd be able to pair it with is my own 2080 ti for testing.
However, was on the phone with a buddy of mine, and he's running a 10600k 5.1 GHz with a 3080 and his AVG. FPS in low/competitive settings is 185, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade for one game and 30-40 more avg steady fPS?

You can check prosettings.net for optimized guides on many different games if you wish, perhaps you can improve on the settings you already have.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
5000 series, but let me straight up tell you that it seems Warzone struggles getting near or past the 200 FPS mark. I'm building a 5800x atm for my cousin, but I'm of course lacking a GPU and 2 parts are delayed, the best I'd be able to pair it with is my own 2080 ti for testing.
However, was on the phone with a buddy of mine, and he's running a 10600k 5.1 GHz with a 3080 and his AVG. FPS in low/competitive settings is 185, I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade for one game and 30-40 more avg steady fPS?

You can check prosettings.net for optimized guides on many different games if you wish, perhaps you can improve on the settings you already have.
If so, i'll get rid of the 6900xt since it perform less smoothly and steadly then my old 1080ti :( :/

Reactions: FoxVoxDK
The OP mentioned PSU too weak in his first post. Two people prior to your answer discussed that comment by the OP but neither suggested replacing the PSU as you did. The OP purchased a new PSU based on your recommendation. While I do agree that a higher wattage quality PSU is preferable in his overall use case, his current PSU was properly powering the system and absorbing the spike as a good PSU should do. That is how they work. Otherwise it would be crashing.

So yes you did get a downvote and a callout because it was deserved. Your answer is not going to solve this persons question, and on top of that you cause him to needlessly spend money to fix a problem. Lest you forget real people are on the other end of these conversations, with real money that they may be spending based upon your responses. So it is intrinsic upon you to be as correct as possible in your answers, and if you are "not familiar with all the ins and outs of PSUs" maybe take a step back before providing information about them that may cause someone to needlessly spend money. And if you're going to call out a person who is telling you that your information is incorrect, you should be able to both back up your position, and not have the facts of the actual post you are in contradict your argument.
There were many reasons that getting a new PSU was beneficial. It almost undoubtedly eliminates one core component from being a potential issue either now or in the future. He could also choose to return the PSU to get his money back, I am sorry for potential wasted time and misleading the thread due to my own disregard for such aforementioned consequences. Just to be clear hear I understand the callout and accept that I made a mistake and it potentially cost the OP money, nobody is perfect. I posted what I believed at the time to be a potentially highly likely solution to the OP's performance issues.

I have a problem with this response because it was very patronizing. The PSU as stated before was not "needless" as his previous one was rated at 200 watts less than recommended and may have cost him his system down the line. Obviously as an adult and IT professional I know that there are real people on the other end of these conversations. I, as I have stated before, was, "as correct as possible" as far as I was aware. I did not call you out either, I asked you to perform a simple task that was what I believed to be evidence to my earlier point, which was foundationally false. So in response to me backing up my position, I did, however, that does not mean how I backed it up was not based on a bad premise, which it was.

I never contradicted myself, nor was I making an argument in any case. I recommended something, was told it was wrong, provided a basis for my recommendation, realized I was wrong, then tried to inquire about how exactly I was wrong so I would not do the same thing again. If members on the forums cannot have a learning moment then that leads to a bad precedent. If you want people to not try and help others based upon what they believe to be true, this forum will evaporate. Punish me if you must, I said what I had to.

Worst case scenario, he spends money and the problem persists, so yea Helper800, you're the cause of the purchase, you get the downvote when you not only ignore the warnings others mentioned, but insist even though you "don't know the ins and outs of PSUs".

First off, worst case is much worse than you mentioned, but since we are dealing with probably's and maybe's anyway he will most probably be able to get his money back if he deems the PSU a waste, its certainly my bad for the wasted time if he returns it, and I apologize.

Secondly, you are downplaying the difference in the scenario I created. I was referring to the difference between single channel 2400mghz RAM with loose 18-22-22 timings and the heavily tuned RAM in my system which is dual channel 3600mghz cl 14-15-15-35. Specifically, I was saying that the difference between those two sets of RAM in the same system would maybe create a difference in performance in warzone of 130 fps vs 170+ fps. I was explaining that although RAM affects performance in games the aforementioned 40 fps delta in the example is simply impossible, maybe with the exception that he was running the previously mentioned slow, single channel, RAM setup. The difference in performance between stock frequency loose timing RAM and heavily tuned RAM in the same system in videogames is typically 10% or less.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There were many reasons that getting a new PSU was beneficial. It almost undoubtedly eliminates one core component from being a potential issue either now or in the future. He could also choose to return the PSU to get his money back, I am sorry for potential wasted time and misleading the thread due to my own disregard for such aforementioned consequences. Just to be clear hear I understand the callout and accept that I made a mistake and it potentially cost the OP money, nobody is perfect. I posted what I believed at the time to be a potentially highly likely solution to the OP's performance issues.

I have a problem with this response because it was very patronizing. The PSU as stated before was not "needless" as his previous one was rated at 200 watts less than recommended and may have cost him his system down the line. Obviously as an adult and IT professional I know that there are real people on the other end of these conversations. I, as I have stated before, was, "as correct as possible" as far as I was aware. I did not call you out either, I asked you to perform a simple task that was what I believed to be evidence to my earlier point, which was foundationally false. So in response to me backing up my position, I did, however, that does not mean how I backed it up was not based on a bad premise, which it was.

I never contradicted myself, nor was I making an argument in any case. I recommended something, was told it was wrong, provided a basis for my recommendation, realized I was wrong, then tried to inquire about how exactly I was wrong so I would not do the same thing again. If members on the forums cannot have a learning moment then that leads to a bad precedent. If you want people to not try and help others based upon what they believe to be true, this forum will evaporate. Punish me if you must, I said what I had to.

A good PSU has protections, if it were insufficient over time it would fail on its own and not take his system with it. We don't even know what specific model/brand he had anyway to make that call.

Everything you just posted is in contradiction to your exhibited behavior in this post. This conversation has veered far enough off into the weeds. This is the end of it.

I really don't think spending money on a new CPU is worth it here.
Agreed. If the 1080 ti you had before gave you a better gaming experience then it may even be worth selling the 6900xt as was suggested before. Either there is some issue with hardware introducing this lag / stutter, internet inconsistency, or potentially a poor driver implementation causing issues.

Does it feel like input lag? Input lag is the time it takes actions that you input on the computer keyboard and mouse to move and respond in game. An easy test is alway a jump in game. Pressing the jump key in a game to see if there is a short pause before your character does the jumping action.

If you suspect it is your internet connection I highly recommend trying a small utility program called Ping Plotter. I would try pinging a few different game servers and see if there are any issues on any of the hops or at the server location itself. If its an internet issue this program will be able to confirm it.

charlesdubenaud12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2018
I've put my finger on it ! I ordered a set of 3600mhz 2x16go of ram and once I installed them and switched the bios to xmp profile - 3600 mhz i started the game and the lag was gone, +/- 170 fps steady. Feels great ! I've read on couple forums that the ryzen 3000 series are hight speed ram vampires .. seems to be it !

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I've put my finger on it ! I ordered a set of 3600mhz 2x16go of ram and once I installed them and switched the bios to xmp profile - 3600 mhz i started the game and the lag was gone, +/- 170 fps steady. Feels great ! I've read on couple forums that the ryzen 3000 series are hight speed ram vampires .. seems to be it !

Glad it worked out, looks like the early suggestions of memory proved out to be true.

Apr 12, 2021
Hi gang, I am having the same issue. I have an 850w Gold PSU and a 5900x CPU. I have tried everything... Fresh install, tweaked every setting under the sun. Resizable bar on, off, undervolt, over clock... reflash bios. Name it. Still having the issue. OP how are you making out with this?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi gang, I am having the same issue. I have an 850w Gold PSU and a 5900x CPU. I have tried everything... Fresh install, tweaked every setting under the sun. Resizable bar on, off, undervolt, over clock... reflash bios. Name it. Still having the issue. OP how are you making out with this?

Please don't attempt to hijack other peoples threads/dig up old threads. You have a thread on this issue already and people have replied to help you, you need to reply to them to get additional help.

Status
Not open for further replies.