Question 6900XT with 11600

songoku619

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hey guys, so with all the crazy deals going on manufacturers are trying to get rid of stock.

6900xt price going crazy low I'm thinking of shopping one now for the price of a 3060 basically. Just wondering if my 11600 won't be too much of a bottleneck with the card. In any case waiting for next gen won't be an issue I think since I'm not going to be upgrading my cpu for atleast 3 years by which time the following gen will be ready.

Should I just pull the trigger?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I buy more often then is necessary, but it is my primary hobby.

Skylake and Kabylake users might want to consider a move to 13th gen. They are looking at a 35-40% increase in single core performance, and much more multithreaded performance(4x if you compared a i7-7700k to a 13600K) Your 11600 is only losing about 20% to a 13th gen, but is still roughly half the multithread performance. But that doesn't matter too much in games.

For the most part, any Coffeelake to Rocketlake user is probably fine for another generation or two. PCIe 3.0 is still relevant, PCIe 4.0 will go down as a near pointless footnote since they moved to 5.0 within a hardware generation. No PCIe 5.0 GPUs of yet and barely any storage.

USB4 onboard might be worth it in a few years time. Hardly any USB 4 let alone USB 4 2.0 devices on the market. (I've got thunderbolt 3 just in case, most of the features are there)

I'm going to hold out on the next 3D VCache release from AMD, should be interesting. I'm curious how Intel will improve the next generation of CPU. Doubling the E-cores again doesn't seem likely, but their upcoming HEDT/Server chips with large numbers of P-Cores might be interesting as well. Kind of miss being on the HEDT platform.