6970 or dual 560ti's?

thedocisin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I'm doing a build right now...
I am going to invest a considerable amount in this build and i want it to last me for a few years...

Here's where i'm at
i7 2600k oc >20%
ATX Z68AP-D3
AMD 6970 2GB
8 Gb 1600 ram
800W Power

This system will be used almost exclusively for SC2 and Diablo 3 --- Ultra.

My question, first of all-

I want it to perform above and beyond the expectations of really any gaming experience.

Would I be better off with:

GTX 560 Ti X2
Or
6970 X1

?

Both cost about the same.

I've heard mixed reviews and from what i've gathered dual cards are only useful for multiple screens?

Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
Drop down to an i5 2500k. Gaming performance is no different than an i7 2600k. Single card setups tend to have less issues than dual setups (not to mention some games don't work well with SLI), but overall not as much performance. I say get the 6970. It performs very well and the 2GB of VRAM compared to the 1GB from the 560 Ti's allows for high resolutions and more future proofing.

thedocisin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

but how much better would you say..

If I have the option, and the cost is about the same would you encourage a build with dual 560 ti's or the single 6970?

I don't want to have to build a computer for at least a few years and I've been saving for this one for some time..

also, is there anything else you'd change with the build?

thanks again!

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Drop down to an i5 2500k. Gaming performance is no different than an i7 2600k. Single card setups tend to have less issues than dual setups (not to mention some games don't work well with SLI), but overall not as much performance. I say get the 6970. It performs very well and the 2GB of VRAM compared to the 1GB from the 560 Ti's allows for high resolutions and more future proofing.

Solution