6GB of RAM only allowing 4GB

Mattthew_H

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Alright, so I just brought a new computer yesterday, and my RAM is saying only 4GB of DDR3 is usable instead of the 6GB I have installed.

I have a i7 920, G.Skill 6GB @ 1600MHz (not running at that speed due to the processors speed) & I've got a GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte Motherboard. I have 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate BTW.

Does anyone have any ideas? :(

Solution
Then I think it is a chipset limitation.
That's what I came to know when I asked GB Costumer support for help!

You can't do anything.

Download CPU-Z.Even it will show 6GB RAM.
But you can't use all 6GB.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Sometimes its a chipset limitation.
I have a Gigabyte 945 mobo and Gigabyte says it supports 4GB RAM.But my PC only sees 3GB Even when 4GB installed.

See computer properties... Is it reporting "RAM: 6.00GB (4GB usable)" ?

shubham1401

Distinguished
Then I think it is a chipset limitation.
That's what I came to know when I asked GB Costumer support for help!

You can't do anything.

Download CPU-Z.Even it will show 6GB RAM.
But you can't use all 6GB.

Solution

linaaslt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Oh guys, what a bunch of BS you'r talking here. I had the same problem, and i have the same MOBO and CPU as you have, what chipset limitation you'r talking about :D joker. How come some people uses 12gb in their UD5(cause there is no chipset limitation to only use 4gb)??? It might be that some of your pins on CPU socket is bend and that's why your system can only use 4gb even though dxdiag and some other programs where showing that there is 6gb installed. After RMA'ing my MOBO, problem was solved!
You can remove CPU and check socket for bend pins, if that's the case you might try to to unbend by yourself, or try contacting your MOBO retailer.
You can try to put ramm in different channels, mine was working 6gb in dual channel, but triple was showing 4gb!
Hope this helps!

linaaslt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Shubman, just a question, why 1366 is the most expensive platform ATM and why it uses tripple channel instead of dual?
Cause it's high end and it's using tripple channel mem controller, that way they are gaining a bit of performance in video editing and multitasking, and how stupid INTEL would look like limiting mem capacity on his system to 4gb :D can't stop laughing m8!!! So explain me why mine system (same as his) is capable of using all 6gb when his only 4?

Story ends here, that mobo with i7 920 supports max 24gb of mem.

Stop taking a piss of yourself. And if you don't know something don't talk BS, cause you make yourself look like and i....t.

linaaslt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Sry for my language will do better next time ;) Be more careful when reading posts next time! And if that guy didn't checked this thread any more, so he is still thinking that's all ok with his PC, when actually it's not.
Have a good day.

steddy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Could it be that his OS is only 32-bit? Would the missing 2 Gigabytes even show up on CPU-Z if that were the case? I could be wrong... I'm not sure what having a 32-bit OS does to the memory, exactly.

Mattthew_H

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

I already said I'm using 64-bit.

dave74x

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Yes mine had the same problem I have a X58A-UD3R and one of my ram sticks was bad, Boot each stick by its self thats how I found out. The bad stick would not boot I even tried the bad stick in all 3 slots and still no boot. I rma'd the ram and waiting for new to come. Hope this helps.