6GB of RAM only allowing 4GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mattthew_H

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Alright, so I just brought a new computer yesterday, and my RAM is saying only 4GB of DDR3 is usable instead of the 6GB I have installed.

I have a i7 920, G.Skill 6GB @ 1600MHz (not running at that speed due to the processors speed) & I've got a GA-EX58-UD5 Gigabyte Motherboard. I have 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate BTW.

Does anyone have any ideas? :(

Solution
Then I think it is a chipset limitation.
That's what I came to know when I asked GB Costumer support for help!

You can't do anything.

Download CPU-Z.Even it will show 6GB RAM.
But you can't use all 6GB.

moporoco

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I had the same issue with:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
Intel Core i7-920
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

What I noticed was that right after powering the system on, I hid the splash screen and noticed that the RAM was only counting up to 4GB. In Windows it said 6GB of RAM (4GB usable). CPU-Z reported 6GB of RAM.

After hours of troubleshooting I followed a tip to check the pins on the socket of the motherboard. I removed the CPU, placed the mobo under a bright light, and noticed one pin was slightly bent to the side. I straightened it with a tiny flat-head jewelers screwdriver and replaced the CPU. After the next reboot, the BIOS counted up all 6GB of RAM and Windows reported 6GB.

dwhatd

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have the same problem same motherboard, processor and ram. When I first put the rig together all was fine. Funny thing is if up change OC settings if changes from 4/6Gb to 2/6Gb. I've pulled the CPU off and had a look at the pins, all seemed fine to me. I may do it again.
I've followed all of Gigabytes suggestions with no luck. This is the first time I've ran a Gigabyte system at home. I've got my eye on a ASUS board as Gigabyte has ran out of options.
If the pins are bent, then I'd say this is my fault. But looking at the forums this seems very common with this board.
My suggestion is not to buy Gigabyte. And that will be my recommendations to all the IT staff I come across from now on.

NOTE: Reinstalling the OS (Which the idiots at Gigabyte suggested to me) will not help if the BIOS is not detecting the RAM.

Mattthew_H

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, at the moment I'm not brave enough to take out the CPU and have a look, because if I find some bent pins and try and fit them, one of them could snap, yes? And then that would break the whole CPU? I'm not sure.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows, did nothing. I've taken my PC to the shop were I got all the parts from, and they said that all the parts are fine and they don't know what's wrong with it.

So, I'm not sure whether it's the motherboard or the pins at the moment, but what I do know is, only having 4GB of RAM is quite painful - I program graphic engines at the moment, and it's really making it hard to test things on highest quality at the moment.

I didn't see anybody list the two most likely causes.

1) Memory remapping in the bios

2) Run MSCONFIG and check the boot menu for a 4 GB limit.

Memory remapping is extremely common in these situations and you occasionally see a software limit set for no apparent reason.

G

i have a 17 920, and a super micro x8sax

the cpu and the board are replacements,

rams is corsair, 1333 1.5v 6gig triple channel

os is windows 7 professional 64 bit

memory is tested good.

Corsair 750 watt psu tested good

msconfig does not show any memory limiting.

CPUZ shows 6 gb ram.... Windows Shows only 4 gb ram

I am not sure what is wrong with this trash,
there is for 6gb ram, why not show 6gb
it shows only 4 gb ram...

this sucks!

Any help appreciated... but i am sure there is nothing you can do.
the system runs fine, no BSOD's well non with replaced hardware.
originally the cpu blew and the mother board had something burned on it.

so i got intel to send me a new i7 920 and supermicro sent me a new board,

personally i am glad i dont own this junk... this is the bosses computer...

-
i am a huge fan of the intel e3300... and the zotac g31 board.
good reliable, proven... and fast.
-

harryhill

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

No, but it is strange that I just installed Win 8-64 and my problem of the 4 Installed--Usable 2 GB...GONE. Now 4 and 4.

That seems to put the problem back on the OS.