6GB RAM installed 4GB Usable help??????

Aidancox11

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I am suffering from a issue that the motherboard is not using all RAM installed. The System properties shows 6gb ram installed (4gb usable). I have ran Memtest86 on all modules and they work fine as well as checking each of the DIMM slots to ensure correct installation. In resource monitor the system shows the 2gb that cannot be used as ' hardware reserved'. The ram is all recognised as installed in the BIOS and consistently says 6gb installed 4gb usable. I have checked msconfig regarding maximum memory and this has no effect. This problem has been affecting my PC since the new ram was installed over 5 months ago. The system is running at 64 bit and the motherboard is meant to be able to cope with far more RAM than I have as far as I am aware.

I can get the ram to work when shutting down the system and re-installing the modules 1 at a time and the system uses all of the 6bg RAM, however, after shutting the PC down for the night the same 6gb installed 4gb usable message appears. Is the problem fixable or is it worth investing in a more up-to-date motherboard?

Thanks

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It is not a problem. That memory is, as you said, reserved for hardware purposes. The solution to your ''problem'' would be getting more RAM (some of it will be reserved but since there's more of it then more will be usable) or getting older (as in weaker) hardware

More food for thought required.
What MB?
What am specifically? ie 3 x 2 gig DDR3 ram Mudules in triple channel Mode or 3 x 2 Gig modules in daul channel Mode (not a great idea)

Any Idea as to what "hardware is Hijacking your Ram?, Are you using a integraded GPU (iGPU) or do You have a Dedicated GPU (dGPU) with it's own ram. A iGPU is about the Only hardware in a Normal computer that would "take" a large amount of memory from your Ram.

Help Us to help you
On Memory, might be helpfull if you down load CPUID CPU-z run it and clik on the Memory tab at the top.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Aidancox11

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Motherboard is ga-ex58-ds4 with i7 920 2.67ghz. Graphics card is separate (gtx 260 with 1gb ram). The ram is setup as 3x2 ddr3 in triple channel. I will post CPU-Z screenshots shortly.

Aidancox11

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Here you go

memory1.png