6gb triple channel vs. 8 gb not triple channel

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I recently bought this computer from craigs list, and in the ad he said it had 6 gigs triple channel ram. When I got home and opened it up, only 2 of the 3 sticks of ram were in there. I emailed the guy and he said he'd look for the other stick. But he hasn't emailed me back yet. He probably just ripped me off. But I'm not complaining too much since I still got a pretty good deal.

Ok so here's my motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128375

It has 4 slots for ram. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy another 2 gig stick (about 60 dollars) to get 6 gigs in triple channel, or if I should get a set of 2 sticks (about 95 dollars) to get 8 gigs in not triple channel. I don't know completely, but I'm pretty sure it won't be in dual channel or anything. Or at least that's what I'm trying to find out.

What I want to know is if the triple channel really affects performance that much. Because I'd rather have more ram for a better price if the triple channel isn't that big of a deal. I want this upgrade to last for a long time. And I know if I get 2 gigs now I can always put 2 more in later. But it just seems like a better deal to get it all now.

So... what would you all do?

Thanks

Solution
The difference between dual channel and triple channel is not really significant. If you install 4 identical 2 GB modules, it looks like the first 6 GB will run in triple channel and the last 2 GB in single channel. That info should be in the manual.
The difference between dual channel and triple channel is not really significant. If you install 4 identical 2 GB modules, it looks like the first 6 GB will run in triple channel and the last 2 GB in single channel. That info should be in the manual.

Solution