Question 6pin / 8pin issue solvable?

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
I want to get a new GPU for my PC (maybe a 1060/70 or 580/90). Originally I thought I would have to go for a card with no additional power inputs. However...

I then discovered my power supply had two 6-pin (one spurred of the other) adapters. But when I look at the images for GPUs they often have one 8pin input.

Is that a problem and how do I overcome it please?

My setup...
  • Dell XPS 8300, with stock PSU (AC460AD-00 460w)
  • Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.8 GHz
  • Dell 0Y2MRG Motherboard
  • 16GB DDR3 1333 MHz 4x4Gb
  • MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti 2 GB 1020 MHz Graphics Card
  • Sandisk SSD Plus 480Gb running Windows 10
Thank you.

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
I wouldn't run anything above a 1060 on a 460W PSU.
And nothing from AMD as they are power hogs from an old design (future devices may be different).
You need a new PSU, 550-600W good quality.

Thank you, is that a hard job to do and would it be compatible with everything else I have?

Any recommendations welcome. Thanks.

It's not too hard to do, a bit harder to do nicely.

All of the connections will be the same, so it's a matter of unplugging everything, 24pin ATX on the mobo, possible 8 or 4 pin on the mobo, any power going to HDDs/SSDs or fans. Then unscrewing the PSU, refit the new one and plug it all back in again. The tricky bit is making the cables look nice, less tricky is looking ugly but still allowing air to flow.

I'm not sure what country you are in, but any of these will be good, avoid the S12/M12's if you can.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...A=500000000000,680000000000&sort=price&page=1

Reactions: mricon

mricon

Commendable
Feb 18, 2017
It's not too hard to do, a bit harder to do nicely.

All of the connections will be the same, so it's a matter of unplugging everything, 24pin ATX on the mobo, possible 8 or 4 pin on the mobo, any power going to HDDs/SSDs or fans. Then unscrewing the PSU, refit the new one and plug it all back in again. The tricky bit is making the cables look nice, less tricky is looking ugly but still allowing air to flow.

I'm not sure what country you are in, but any of these will be good, avoid the S12/M12's if you can.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...A=500000000000,680000000000&sort=price&page=1

Thank you, it does make me wonder whether or not to 'start again' with a new case etc. I wonder if I am spending more in the long-run trying to keep my old system going.

Thoughts?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you do with the pc. I primarily game online, star wars old republic, so that's not really an issue. I do run heavily modded skyrim, but my i7 can handle that at 60fps. I don't play gta V or anything newer, so the old 970 is fine. I'm good for a couple years yet or until gaming choices change.

So you'll have to figure out your direction. A gtx1060 will be about the best that cpu can realistically deal with, although the gtx1660ti is more powerful, it's the same wattage draw, 2x6pin or 1x8pin. Yes you can adapter the 6pins to an 8 just fine.

Reactions: mricon
Unless you upgrade your system with a faster CPU as well, you don't need a card any faster than a 1060, even a 1050 Ti should be fine. Unless you are planning on upgrading the whole setup at some point.

Also make sure you check for a newer BIOS for your system, OEM and especially older OEM systems don't always work with newer video cards.

Really it would be up to you, upgrade PSU and get a higher end video card to plan for upgrade, or just get a bit faster video card than yours, saving money on PSU and higher end card, and then swap the whole thing later.