[SOLVED] 6pin and 6+2pin into Asus ROG Strix 2070 super?

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
It is fascinating how ambiguous the Nvidia manual is for installing a 2070super. Also it’s terribly confusing when the manual says there is one 6pin and one 8pin cable needed but the actual cars had two 8pin sockets.

my 3-year old 750W PSU has these cables:

6pin unlabeled
6pin labeled PCIe
6+2pin labeled PCIe

am I guessing correctly that I can plug the 6+2 in one and the 6pin in the second socket, leaving one of the sockets with 2 unused pins?

does it matter which socket has the 2 unused pins?

or am I going to have issues if I don’t have a PSU with two “native” 8pin cables?

Solution
You'll need one with two native 8 pins, since a 6 pin can only provide up to 75w, while an 8 pin can do up to 150w. even if the last two pins are ground, they are a bit of an indication to show that the PSU can handle that amount of wattage on the cable.

and since this is quite uncommon today, I don't think you have a very modern PSU, do you?

by the looks of it, recommended to buy a new one. If you can provide your budget and country I'm happy to give you some options

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
You'll need one with two native 8 pins, since a 6 pin can only provide up to 75w, while an 8 pin can do up to 150w. even if the last two pins are ground, they are a bit of an indication to show that the PSU can handle that amount of wattage on the cable.

and since this is quite uncommon today, I don't think you have a very modern PSU, do you?

by the looks of it, recommended to buy a new one. If you can provide your budget and country I'm happy to give you some options

Solution

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
I wouldn't go any less than 650w.
let's take the very worst (mainstream) case of a 9900k here
tdauREAwqYvHhsTjDHesSH-650-80.png

add to that the 2070 super
fSeARHUXEikWCLS9XbCzah-650-80.png

add another 50 watts for other components to get a rough estimate

OP likely uses a less hungry CPU, so this is already over the top in wattage. 650w is an option, but 550w would be no problem whatsoever

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
The 6+2 is an "8 pin natural" connector. It should all fit in there only "1" way with the 6+2 seated together properly and slotted in where it goes and directly next to it the 6pin without a gap between.
The PCIe ones are the right ones and the card will take both the 6,6+2 or 2,6+2 or 2 solid 8 pins. 1 provides 150 and the other 75 for 225 total watts.

The higher your PSU wattage is rated the longer it will last at +/-50% capacity, which is about what you want it to run most of the time. So if you're expecting to run 300-350w most of the time you want a PSU rated around 600-700w.

Reactions: Timstertimster

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

Using forum posts as a sales channel is ultra cheesy.
Ugh.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is fascinating how ambiguous the Nvidia manual is for installing a 2070super. Also it’s terribly confusing when the manual says there is one 6pin and one 8pin cable needed but the actual cars had two 8pin sockets.

my 3-year old 750W PSU has these cables:

6pin unlabeled
6pin labeled PCIe
6+2pin labeled PCIe

am I guessing correctly that I can plug the 6+2 in one and the 6pin in the second socket, leaving one of the sockets with 2 unused pins?

does it matter which socket has the 2 unused pins?

or am I going to have issues if I don’t have a PSU with two “native” 8pin cables?
What is the make/model of your current PSU?

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
If you purchase a high quality power supply then over-provisioning is not that big of a deal so long as you are not running too close to full rated output.
thing is that PSUs with an LLC resonant converter are about as efficient between 30 and 80%, and even beyond that not hugely less.
Using forum posts as a sales channel is ultra cheesy.
Ugh.
then name me a good, modern PSU with an 8+6 pcie connector, because i can't think of any at this moment

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
thing is that PSUs with an LLC resonant converter are about as efficient between 30 and 80%, and even beyond that not hugely less.

then name me a good, modern PSU with an 8+6 pcie connector, because i can't think of any at this moment
Corsair ax760/860. Granted they are $200 PSUs but most modular ones will come with those connectors or something equivalent. And not exactly modern, they have a 7 year warranty.
Longevity and load working in tandem with eachother isn't a myth. It's more relevant to a low quality PSU compared to a better one, but it is a true and factual thing you can look up to verify.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Corsair ax760/860
excuse me? those come with 6x8 pins...
Longevity and load working in tandem with eachother isn't a myth. It's more relevant to a low quality PSU compared to a better one, but it is a true and factual thing you can look up to verify.
overload yes, but under normal loads it's going to be a very minor difference at best. just like the caps are first to die. something like the PFC seems to die much earlier. most modern PSUs are built to sustain 40c-50c and are tested on this. and again, 50% isn't even the sweetspot as you can see in about every efficiency graph

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
This kinda explains the efficiency rating, the higher quality the PSU, the closer it it to max efficiency at 50% load.
let me just take a couple graphs here, of a couple levels of PSUs
efficiency.jpg

first, VS. as you can see outside of the low loads, efficiency between ~100w and ~600w only changes by 4%, peak efficiency at 250w

kJoMuoHFBjv3kjSZTGYQUm-650-80.png

then, focus FX. as you can see between ~100w and ~650w the efficiency difference is 3%. peak efficiency at 300w load

aG9ZGT4SHoZeYkGhZe7jjh-650-80.png

and lastly, ax1600i. efficiency between ~200w and 1400w changes by around 2%. peak efficiency is around 600w

you get my point here?