[SOLVED] 6pin pcie to 4 pin cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2021
All right quick question that I can't find a clear answer for.

I know you cannot plug a pcie cable into a 4-pin cpu/mb, I know the pins are different and I know in general use the extra four pin on most motherboards is not necessary,

So in theory if one were to rewire a plug or simply get an adapter that converts 6 pin pcie to 4 pin cpu, would it work as intended?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
It isn't so much for the build more of a theory craft question,
But for reference the psu is "nzxt c750m" and the mb is "asus x570 pro"
I've seen the adapters and it just seems a little sketchy (hence the curiosity of it works actually work or not) and not something I would certainly trust a brand new system to, if I plan on using the extra four pin I'll upgrade the psu to accommodate.
That PSU comes with 2 4+4 pin PSU connectors so an adapter is not needed as you have the proper connections for an 8-pin eps and a extra 4-pin.
Output Connector(s)1x 24-pin ATX power
2x 4+4-pin CPU power
4x PCIe (6+2 pin)
8x SATA
6x Peripherals
Included Cables1 x 24-pin ATX power (length: 610...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If your PSU lacks the necessary connectors for the components in your build, you either:
a| have the wrong PSU for the build
or
b| have the wrong components except the PSU for the build.

Can you state the make and model of your PSU and the make and model of your motherboard? The answer from me, is no, don't use an adapter. You will need native connectivity from the PSU for the EPS.

don't go on about ...
that's the kind of thing that steers people clear of your thread.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Apr 6, 2021
If your PSU lacks the necessary connectors for the components in your build, you either:
a| have the wrong PSU for the build
or
b| have the wrong components except the PSU for the build.

Can you state the make and model of your PSU and the make and model of your motherboard? The answer from me, is no, don't use an adapter. You will need native connectivity from the PSU for the EPS.

I've seen the adapters and it just seems a little sketchy (hence the curiosity of it works actually work or not) and not something I would certainly trust a brand new system to, if I plan on using the extra four pin I'll upgrade the psu to accommodate.

Apr 6, 2021
don't go on about ...
that's the kind of thing that steers people clear of your thread.

I'll keep that in mind. it's just that every thread that I've seen so far that I looked at asking a similar question was met with everyone just saying the same thing of don't use it and not actually answering the question. I'm more of a lurker and I don't post very often so thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
That PSU comes with 2 4+4 pin PSU connectors so an adapter is not needed as you have the proper connections for an 8-pin eps and a extra 4-pin.
2x 4+4-pin CPU power
4x PCIe (6+2 pin)
8x SATA
6x Peripherals
Included Cables1 x 24-pin ATX power (length: 610 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x 4+4-pin CPU power (length: 650 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x PCIe (6+2 pin) (length: 675 +75 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x SATA (length: 500 + 100 +100 +100 mm)
2 x Peripherals (length: 500 + 100 +100 mm)

https://www.nzxt.com/products/c750

In therory some adapters are ok.(6pin pci-e to 4- pin atx being one of them), but in practice many adapters tend to be problematic mainly due to quality issues(poor wire, connectors or pins) that can cause shorts and small fires.

Solution
Apr 6, 2021
2x 4+4-pin CPU power
4x PCIe (6+2 pin)
8x SATA
6x Peripherals

Included Cables1 x 24-pin ATX power (length: 610 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x 4+4-pin CPU power (length: 650 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x PCIe (6+2 pin) (length: 675 +75 mm, Nylon sleeving)
2 x SATA (length: 500 + 100 +100 +100 mm)
2 x Peripherals (length: 500 + 100 +100 mm)

https://www.nzxt.com/products/c750

In therory some adapters are ok.(6pin pci-e to 4- pin atx being one of them), but in practice many adapters tend to be problematic mainly due to quality issues(poor wire, connectors or pins) that can cause shorts and small fires.
Thank you, as I said it's mainly my curiosity on the subject, and it seems as I thought, don't trust the crappy adapters and just make one myself if I needed it by repining and soldering a custom cable, but it is technically possible.
Also I'm going to have to check my psu, the pics on Amazon where I bought it only show a single 8 pin cpu. It just came yesterday and I haven't even opened it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.