[SOLVED] 6pin to 8 pin adapter

Jan 28, 2020
Hello, i just bought a new graphics card (gtx 1660) for my 8 years old computer, the problem is, my power supply has only a 6pin pci-e power cable, i was wondering if an 6pin to 8pin could harm in any way that new gpu, here's the link to power supply specs http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ategory=86723&pm=1&ds=0&t=1575141315000&ver=0

And if it could cause some real issue, can you please link me a power supply that could work with my mobo, cause i just bought a corsair vs450 for nothing, it doesn't even work, my pc is a HP pavillon HPE h8-1200eb

Thank you for your help!

Solution
No, if your PSU does not have the proper connections is a great sign that its not up to the task of running the card.
An 8 pin port requires 150w, 6 pin can only provide 75w. Using a 6 to 8 pin adapter does not change this.

The only acceptable adapter to use is a quality dual 6 pin to single 8 pin.
No, if your PSU does not have the proper connections is a great sign that its not up to the task of running the card.
An 8 pin port requires 150w, 6 pin can only provide 75w. Using a 6 to 8 pin adapter does not change this.

The only acceptable adapter to use is a quality dual 6 pin to single 8 pin.

Solution
I agree with the above statement.

Since you just bought that PSU, which btw its the budget option from corsair with not so good components, you can return it and pay the price difference for a better PSU.
If that's not an option, sell it and buy another from the CX series (grey label and NOT green label) or the TX series, with a wattage of 550 or higher.

Adapters that carry power aren't the greatest idea anyway. I once worked on a system where someone had used a molex to sata adapter had shorted and actually caught fire and melted the hard drive power connection on the back of the hard drive. So I would not recommend power adapters.

Jan 28, 2020
Thank you everyone for you answers, i'll return the vs450 and buy a new PSU from the CX séries which i hope Will work because with the vs450, my computer powers up and immediatly shuts down