Question 6pin to 8 pin adapter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 12, 2021
Hey i just bought the xfr rx 6600xt it needs an 8 pin connector from the powersupply, however i only have a 6 pin from the psu.
would i be okay with an 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?
The psu is rated for 1100 watts with 90% efficiency so i should be okay on that front.
Link to the card: https://www.xfxforce.com/shop/xfx-speedster-qick-308-amd-radeon-tm-rx-6600-xt-black#2
Link to computer specs: https://www.workstation4u.de/media/pdf/2d/53/c1/Fujitsu_Celsius_R920-datasheet.pdf
with
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2670
and 64Gigs of Ram

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I have one final question though, when you talk about cutting two pins off and attatching them to the 6 pin i assume it is what is being done here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usDW9wjbLDg
correct? how is this different from just using an 6 to 8 pin adapter, and how does this allow 150W powerdraw instead of just 75, if there is still the same amount of wires connected to the psu?

no, that is not what im saying.

what im saying is to disconnect those two wires (the red and yellow) and attach them to their own independent wires. Not tie them up with an existing wire in the same connection.

As far as i can see and as far as i know, this is the top tier psu, it might have been connected via 2 x 6 -8 + another 6 pin, that would explain the three 6 pin sockets in the Psu.

i see, if it is in fact the top tier psu then i guess it might be safe to use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter… i just want to be safe rather than sorry.

Aug 12, 2021
no, that is not what im saying.

what im saying is to disconnect those two wires (the red and yellow) and attach them to their own independent wires. Not tie them up with an existing wire in the same connection.

Ah i think i get it now, okay so i would cut off two wires with pins from anouther cable and then plug it into the 2 empty pins in the gpu, and the the other end to the psu? which exact slots should the wires the go to in the psu?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just to clarify things going forward since some of this conversation is a bit confusing: when we're talking pins, we're only talking about the pins on the side that connects to the actual component. The number of pins on a modular PSU doesn't actually mean anything; these are not standardized or relevant to any decision involving a PSU. OP, you keep talking about six pins on the side that goes into the PSU and you showed a picture of the PSU connectors into the PSU, but that's not important. When we're talking about a 6-pin or 6+2-pin connector, we're talking about the number of pins on the cable that goes into the GPU, which is the only side of a modular cable that is standardized. It's a small point, but precision is important with safety issues like this.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
No, just the wires. Something like this:
6849-A400-F328-45-B5-915-C-3-EE33-BA2-F8-F3.jpg

the red line is where i made the cut, the blue lines are the independent grounds.

a “real” 8 pin would have five independent ground wires and three independent power wires.

a 6 pin pcie connector would have three independent ground wires and two (or three) independent power wires

a “fake” (adapter) 8 pin would still have three independent ground wires and three independent power wires, the two extra are taking their power from two of the three existing wires…

Reactions: thereisnospoon4u
Aug 12, 2021
Just to clarify things going forward since some of this conversation is a bit confusing: when we're talking pins, we're only talking about the pins on the side that connects to the actual component. The number of pins on a modular PSU doesn't actually mean anything; these are not standardized or relevant to any decision involving a PSU. OP, you keep talking about six pins on the side that goes into the PSU and you showed a picture of the PSU connectors into the PSU, but that's not important. When we're talking about a 6-pin or 6+2-pin connector, we're talking about the number of pins on the cable that goes into the GPU, which is the only side of a modular cable that is standardized. It's a small point, but precision is important with safety issues like this.
Ah, sorry for the poor terminology i'm not well versed in this. so if i'm getting this right, a cable connected to the psu, with a 6+2 pin to the component, in this case the gpu, would be able to deliver 150 watt?