Moribund

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
In a nutshell. I've never had this type of issue with large size hard drives before. This drive is connected through a SATA cable. It seemed to have issues from the start. It had a conflict with two of my removable "passport" drives (same model both of them). When they were connected together with this internal SATA connected drive, - Windows wouldn't boot. Eventually I resolved this by formatting them thereby removing manufacturer's software.

S.M.A.R.T. scans give it a passing grade, as does manufacturer's long test, all the important attributes which have good predictive capacity are absolutely fine, fitness and performance are near 100%. However for a fast spin drive with a large cache, this drive takes a very long time to come online when you click on it. Takes from 10 to 20 seconds, sometimes longer., but once it does come online - it's fast again. Windows boot takes forever once it's been connected. Also very rarely Windows Explorer goes berserk, icons gray out and become inaccessible, Start button disappears, in a nutshell - the Windows Shell intermittently misbehaves when this drive is connected, no pun intended, and this only goes away after a reboot. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my NTFS formatting, I did take Windows 7 and its size into consideration when I formatted it. Has anyone any hunches as to why this may be happening? The drive is less than a third full.

Thanks in advance

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS