6TB HDD, WD Blue or Purple?

PzrrL

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Hi, I am going to buy a 6TB hdd from WD for storing media (video, photos, music, etc., and I will play those media from the disk for sure), but I am considering if I should take:

WD Blue WD60EZRZ 6TB SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB HDD ~US$ 235.425
or
WD Purple WD60PURX 6TB SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB HDD ~US$240.972

as there is a little bit difference in price in my city.

FYI, I noticed that there is a one-year warranty difference too.

So, which one should I pick?

Thanks in advance.

You want Blue. Blue is a slower lower power drive that is good for storage only.

The Purple is for Security Camera DVR's and in machines that have constant writes. It isn't really designed to be a storage device but a device that you can write from begining to end over and over and over again.

If anything maybe go with a Black if you want the speed plus 5 year warrant.

PzrrL

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

I am thinking because of the one-year warranty difference between blue and purple, is that really not worth to pay more little bit for one year?

Btw, I will not go for black for sure as it is out of budget, isn't available in my city and not that neccessary.

They do have greens it seems though they are hard to find and places like newegg point to a newer version which goes to the 6TB Blue.

You can get the purple. it won't hurt. But it is designed more for 24/7 writes

Eh I never liked the green. Always stayed away from it. Always either when with Blue or Black, or Black and Blue how every you like it XD and then Red for RAID of course haha but yea the purple are mainly for DVR's. Been putting some 2-4TB purples in some DVR's I have been installing lately. So far no issues with them.

PzrrL

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

Only WD Blue,Purple and Red is available for 6TB in my city.

Btw, my main focus is only on WD blue or purple for 6TB, is there anything that can convince me to buy blue or purple? Thanks!

PzrrL

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015

It seems that wd green and blue are going to merge together(source from official website):
Same Drive, New Family
We are making changes to simplify the hard drive selection process for our customers by consolidating our mainstream PC product offerings to only the WD Blue family. All current WD Green capacity, cache and form-factor configurations will remain available through their lifecycle, but under the WD Blue brand*. Although WD Green hard drives are part of a new family, they're still the same reliable hard drive you've grown to know and love over the years.