Question 6tb HGST (Renewed),Mechanical Hard Disk -- can't format all

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013

Here's what I got for $60 from Amazon:​

HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 HUS726060ALE610 (0F23001) 6TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gbps 3.5in Enterprise Hard Drive - 5 Year Warranty (Renewed),Mechanical Hard Disk​

"Renewed" is the key word here.
I thought I was getting a deal.
When I opened the sealed anti static bag and read the label on the HDD, it was manuf Oct 2015!! Not 2019 like the product picture.
And the hgst HDD is a bit noiser than my whisper quiet 6T WD from two years ago.
That all would be OK if it formatted correctly. Which I could not do in Win or Linux formatters.
Even w/o doing any initial formatting, I noticed something strange, fresh out of the box and untouched, in Drive Mgr.: Two pre-existing "Unnallocated" partitions (one 2.5t, the other 3.5t)
I proceeded to format. But ...
The formatters -- Win or Linux PCs -- would install partitions only up to 2.5 TB, leaving 3.5 as "free space". I could not format the rest (aka "free space" of 3.5tb), either as a whole (full 5.5tb) or 2.5 /3.5 parts.

So back it goes to Amazon unless one of you can figure out how I can retrieve that 3.5tb free space. Both Linux and Win say there is nothing wrong with the HDD and that the "free space" and the whole drive is functioning normally.

Last edited:

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
It has to be partitioned in GPT for full capacity to be available.
In MBR partitioning mode you have only 2.2TB capacity available.
thx!! Right on! Win had the option quite obviously ... missed it some how ... as did the poor soul who returned it for the "Renewed tag. Still a 2015 model and not so quiet. But hgst goodness.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you have the link to the listing? Unless this was sold directly by Hitachi, "renewed" is a lie and the warranty is worthless. That would affect whether or not there's the slightest reason to not return it.

Still probably would just return it anyway. Everyone's values will differ, but for me, $0 with free shipping is a terrible deal for this hard drive. For an eight-year-old hard drive, I'd have to be paid to take it to compensate me for the time and energy I use to deal with such a thing.

Reactions: 13hm13

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Do you have the link to the listing? Unless this was sold directly by Hitachi, "renewed" is a lie and the warranty is worthless. That would affect whether or not there's the slightest reason to not return it.

Still probably would just return it anyway. Everyone's values will differ, but for me, $0 with free shipping is a terrible deal for this hard drive. For an eight-year-old hard drive, I'd have to be paid to take it to compensate me for the time and energy I use to deal with such a thing.
It seems to be working fine -- it copied 2tb of data in about 2 hrs.
Link:

I've got until Aug 15 to return it to Amazon. Till then, I'll leave it running 24/7 and test it for backing up, playing videos, etc.
My other "newer" 6t is a WD Blue. it runs at RPM 5400, unlike the hgst's 7200. Amazon has a new deal on 8t WD Blue for $100.00. Also 5400 RPM.
I like slower RPM -- seem to be quieter, run cooler with less vibration (hence, more reliable ???) .
I'm open to suggestions for 6-8t mechanical HDDs. please suggest some as necessary. Thx!

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Question:

The 6t hgst is mounted in an external case. This one:

In this case, when it is powered on, is there any way to spin down the HDD when it is not being actively used for x amount of time.
I could power down the case. But that adds more work on my end.