6th Gen and latest Intel CPUs doesn't need cooling fans?

G

Is that true?

People I knew say Intel made its 6th and 7th gen CPUs so power efficient that they emit low heat which doesn't need cooling fan to move the heat and natural air flow is enough. Is that true?

All I know is that they doesn't ship with stock cooler so we would buy aftermarket ones.

Can any one explain in brief about the specialties and features of 6th and 7th gen CPUs (both desktop and mobile) as I'm out of touch after Broadwell? (In fact I don't know very little about broadwell), so if any one could explain the last three gen (for gaming) , it would be great!

(Why Intel's releasing multiple generation CPUs in short period even though their competitor AMD is not giving a tough competition?)

Solution

If you google for Kaby Lake which is going to be intels new generation that comes out in early 2017, i7 7700k and so on. It's going to use the LGA 1151 socket so you don't have to worry about the 1151 being outdated anytime soon and if you're going to build a new rig I would suggest 1151 for future upgrades. Or you could wait some weeks to see what Zen (amd) has to offer.

(Cannonlake) that is the generation after Kaby Lake is said to use 1151 as well.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

They're good. They're not *that* good. Intel's simply not shipping stock coolers with the unlocked CPUs because those are essentially enthusiast market chips and practically nobody building their own rig with a k processor is going to use the stock fan.

Now, I've actually had a fan go without me realizing it, but I still had a giant heatsink and a case with a lot of airflow.

rgd1101

Don't

no. like I said before what you said
"People I knew say Intel made its 6th and 7th gen CPUs so power efficient that they emit low heat which doesn't need cooling fan to move the heat and natural air flow is enough. Is that true?"
is WRONG

No, only the "K" suffix processors are unlocked.
For those, the buyer then has the choice of coolers and will not waste by discarding any stock cooler that might have been included.

The non K processors all come with a stock cooler that does the job.

Yes, you always need a cooler.

Over time processors get better and cheaper through design and manufacturing process. It makes sense to market the latest products which give you more for your money than previous offerings.

G

So, I'm buying a "K" sufix proceesor, but not going to overclock for long.. Can I get a stock cooler (with added price)?

Or I'm overclocking right away so I don't need the stock cooler, so price is reduced? Does it work that way?

If you buy a K, you need a cooler.
A simple $30 cooler like a cryorig H7 will do the job regardless if you will be overclocking or not.
Buying a stock cooler even for less will not be worth it.

If you want an Intel stock cooler, buy a non-K CPU which comes with one.

"K" CPUs don't include stock coolers because anyone who buys a "K" CPU would just throw away the stock cooler anyway, since they're not good enough for overclocking. They still need coolers though.

G

Few more question guys,

1) Why there are only 5 desktop processors in Broadwell and Intel stopped?

2) If I buy a Haswell (say i5 4650K - or any Broadwell) now for gaming, how long it takes for the LGA 1150 to become out-date CPU for games (any guess)?

Or just buy Sky-lake (LGA 1151 now) or wait for new Intel CPUs to keep them for more years before becoming out-of-date socket or out of date "LGAxxxx")???

1) I believe Intel was having yield issues. Plus Broadwell's biggest selling point was its much more powerful iGPU, and most desktop users don't care one bit about it, and just disable it and use a video card.

2) Broadwell and Haswell CPUs are not much slower than Skylake, but 1150 is already a dead socket. It will not receive any more CPUs, DDR3 production is dropping, and most motherboards for it are going out of production. Haswell is 3 years old, after all.

There's little point in buying anything but Intel's newest CPUs if you're building from scratch.

AqwBroders

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016

If you google for Kaby Lake which is going to be intels new generation that comes out in early 2017, i7 7700k and so on. It's going to use the LGA 1151 socket so you don't have to worry about the 1151 being outdated anytime soon and if you're going to build a new rig I would suggest 1151 for future upgrades. Or you could wait some weeks to see what Zen (amd) has to offer.

(Cannonlake) that is the generation after Kaby Lake is said to use 1151 as well.

Solution

itsDifferent

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Don't go Kabylake, Just get a 6600k when you can. Sure, Kabylake is new, and only performs about 10% better than Skylake. Chances are, Kabylake is gonna be sold out and overpriced when it comes out. So why spend the extra money and wait the while when you can get a processor now that performs nearly the same?

DrCool

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

I have a i5-4200u that runs perfect without active cooling, sure it has a passive cooling thing on it for the fan to blow trough but the fan doesn't need to be on unless your pushing the cpu to the max. Average temp around 44 celcius (room temp 21 celcius) surfing websites, viewing youtubes, all that sort of stuff. I now have a silent silent laptop with i5, pretty cool.

joey59

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

if it has a ''K'' at the end of the name it is unlocked, all cpus need cooling fans, most the time a stock intel fan or a light aftermarket air cooling fan will be fine, if you have a K cpu and overclock you might need a water cooler or a good air fan, or else the cpu will throttle or get damaged from heat.