[SOLVED] 6yr old computer no display from GPU or MOBO

Sep 4, 2021
It looks like I put this computer together 6 years ago so it may be time to give up, but I'm stumped as to what's wrong. This is effectively my Son's minecraft computer and our TV/Youtube computer at this point and has some life left in it for him so I'm wondering what to try next.
If it is time to scrap it does everything go or should I salvage the GPU?

Processor: Not exactly sure at the moment - I think it's an i7 but maybe a goodish i5 (6 years ago good that is)
RAM: 8GB (DDR3 1600 - PC3 12800)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
MOBO: Asrock z97 Pro4
PSU: Corsair CX430 430W EDIT It's a Corsair CX500 500W supply EDIT

Issue is that there is no display output. I have tried quite a bit from some great threads on the site.
  • Cleaning the inside (I'll admit that it was filthy....)
  • Trying DVI ports on the GPU (normal output was HDMI)
  • Removing GPU (from slot and power) / connecting to mobo display directly (and did this basically in between all of the steps below)
  • Removing/reseating power connections to mobo & GPU
  • Removing/reseating GPU and RAM
  • Trying the RAM in the 2/4 positions instead of the 1/3 positions where they have always been
  • Resetting the CMOS (via mobo jumper) -- for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the coin cell battery out -- that's next on my list to search for how to get it out and replace
One additional bit is that at some point in messing with it when powered up it would power up for a second, then off, then back on. Otherwise it seems to power up and make normal sounds - just no video output.

Unfortunately no codes on the mobo and I don't have a speaker to hear beeps
I don't have another PSU to test with
If there's a chance it is the RAM should I chase the issue buy buying 2 more sticks and trying them?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
If this machine had a good mat of dust inside, aging low end PSU it's going to be a hard call for what exactly could be wrong with it. Not even sure I would "waste" the money to pay a professional to check it out, but it would be an option.

At this point I would move forward with a far newer i3/R3 system with an iGPU. Would be of the hope that the current 970 is good and would be worthwhile to check it on any other properly rated system you can in order to see. If so, even a 10100 based system will work quite well with what you mention for use.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the system was built with that green labelled Corsair PSU, then you were PSU was underpowered for the entire build. As for the issue, you might want to try and source a donor PSU that's made from a reliable brand like Seasonic(M12II/S12II) or Corsair's higher tier units(TX/RM) and see if the system get's back to life, while having all hardware(except the PSU) in their original places.

it reads to me like the PSU is incapable of power your system even if at all with the minimum hardware.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this machine had a good mat of dust inside, aging low end PSU it's going to be a hard call for what exactly could be wrong with it. Not even sure I would "waste" the money to pay a professional to check it out, but it would be an option.

At this point I would move forward with a far newer i3/R3 system with an iGPU. Would be of the hope that the current 970 is good and would be worthwhile to check it on any other properly rated system you can in order to see. If so, even a 10100 based system will work quite well with what you mention for use.

Reactions: Chicagojon2016
Solution