[SOLVED] 7.1 Headphones hooked up to a 4k TV ?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
So I asked a similar question way back when but not "exactly" anyway:

I'm disabled and fairly young so I enjoy a lot of films that people in my apartment complex do not (its mostly elderly disabled people) that being said I"m sick of not being able to have a nice sound system because of them. Yet, I respect them, not to mention I would get complaints so I am getting a "nice" pair of headphones next payday but need opinions and answers.

These are the ones I can afford. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech...PC-Black/766641944?fulfillmentIntent=In-store

If there are better for $50, tell me, I'm open :_)

However whichever wired pair I buy (I prefer wired) how does 7.1 work with Aux port? Or does it? If not what about the optical port on my 4k TV? Also here is my tv I'm pretty sure, its 2 years old. So the specs may have changed, not sure....but i dont think.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-58-Class-4K-UHD-LCD-Roku-Smart-TV-HDR-R6-Series-58R6E3/587182688

I really love the picture and with a 1k pay check to live on its hard to upgarde tv's. Anyway I'm uncertain what all questions to ask, so any additional info regarding good sound quality with wired headphones would be appreciated. Thanks guys and gals....sorry if I don't come across good with wording....things..heh

Edit: Also if i buy a longer cable (I sit a bit far away) like an extender for the aux cable will that affect the quality. I know with regular stereo doing so never seemd to but outside of that i do not know.

Last edited:
Solution
hi, that gaming 7.1 headset wont work that way you want with a TV.
headsets like this have usb soundcard which is compatible with playstation, xbox, pc or nintendo switch, otherwise it also has 3.5mm jack for stereo so they can be used on mobile phones or your tv, but not as 7.1 speaker, but only as 2 channel stereo

optical cable is limited to 5.1 DTS/Dolby or 2ch PCM, cant be used with that headset either

what you have in mind would be labeled as home cinema headphones
TV itself wont be able to send more than 2 channels with normal speakers, you woould need to go with HDMI ARC/EARC (audio return channel over HDMI)...you probably wont find anything in your price range of 50bucks
hi, that gaming 7.1 headset wont work that way you want with a TV.
headsets like this have usb soundcard which is compatible with playstation, xbox, pc or nintendo switch, otherwise it also has 3.5mm jack for stereo so they can be used on mobile phones or your tv, but not as 7.1 speaker, but only as 2 channel stereo

optical cable is limited to 5.1 DTS/Dolby or 2ch PCM, cant be used with that headset either

what you have in mind would be labeled as home cinema headphones
TV itself wont be able to send more than 2 channels with normal speakers, you woould need to go with HDMI ARC/EARC (audio return channel over HDMI)...you probably wont find anything in your price range of 50bucks

Last edited:
Solution

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Woah! thanks for the info, those prices are crazy. I suppose I need suggestions for a good pair of stereo headphones for watching movies then, lol. Perhaps just a standard gaming headset/phones would be sufficient? I mean I'm not THAT picky haha. I really appreciate it btw....but i do feel a bit dumb...:O

Whatever you get, you will need an audio cable extender to use it with the TV. Normal headphone cords are too short to use with a TV at normal viewing distance.

Bluetooth headphones are nice to use but for TV use they can cause a delay between the sound and picture. Even the $300 Bose headphones I use with my TV there is a bit of a delay, not huge but noticiable.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Whatever you get, you will need an audio cable extender to use it with the TV. Normal headphone cords are too short to use with a TV at normal viewing distance.

Bluetooth headphones are nice to use but for TV use they can cause a delay between the sound and picture. Even the $300 Bose headphones I use with my TV there is a bit of a delay, not huge but noticiable.

For sure, in fact I got a 18ft extender a few days ago. I sit pretty far back as my TV is around 60in.