7.1 Headphones worth it?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I'm looking for a gaming headset with mic. I already have headphones for other purposes such as music etc. Will a 7.1 headset blow me away in games that support it or can I simulate that experience on a good stereo headset? I'm looking to spend too much, budget to midrange.

I've heard some, pretty cool, but not "mindblowing"

You are better off finding a good quality set that you can stand top have on for more then 20 minutes without getting a headache. I have a great sounding set from Andrea (NC-250V). I cannot wear them for more than 45 to an hour before they hurt my head. Sounds great and the Mic is good too.

You will notice no difference between a 5.1 or 7.1 set of headphones, there may be some difference between stereo and 5.1 or 7.1.
Some people can make out the directional sound in a headset, some cannot. This varies too with headsets that use multiple drivers (some Razor headsets) and most that just emulate surround sound from a single driver.
If you do want a surround headset, Corsair has good mid-range headsets, cheaper than Logitech or Razor.

This is how most of the "surround" headsets work that connect using USB.
To do this with a standard stereo headset through a 3.5mm jack, it must be supported by your sound card. This is often a feature of gaming sound cards.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
A few headsets I'm considering are the:

Tt eSports Shock,
Turtle Beach Ear Force Recon 50,
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12,
Turtle Beach Ear Force P12,
Plantronics RIG 50,
Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger,
Logitech G230.

Any opinions/recommendations?

Anyone heard of Sades? Are they any good?

Shacrak

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

IMO logitech g430 are better than 230. Haven't heard of Sades.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017
I have the hyperx cloud II and they have 7.1 surround and if you don't like that you can just turn it off. they are also very comfy and have a removable mic that is pretty good. they cost about $100.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Currently I have the TakStar Pro 80's which are actually the Kingston Hyper X in disguise, actually I think you'll find it's the Hyper X in disguise of the Pro 80 and I'm pretty sure you'll find that Takstar make the Hyper X. Either way they are very good headphones but mine lack a mic.

The audio quality according to reviews looks to be very good on the Logitech's, I wasn't wanting to spend a lot on a headset but I'm thinking now if I go budget I might end up sacrificing on audio quality and probably just all round quality. I'm in NZ and we pay way more for the same products so bare that in mind! Can the usb connection on the Logitech g430 tend to be a bit digital sounding and not as pure as an analog connection?

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017

you could just get a mod mic then

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I was looking for something like that but didn't know you could get something like this, the best I could find was a clip on mic that you clip to your shirt. Do they just stick on to your headphones? Do they have to be permanently stuck on or can they easily be taken on or off?

Edit: Are there any wireless ones? That would be cool, although by then your probably paying about the same for a headset?

The sound is generated by a computer, so it is always analog converted into digital.
For a headset connected by an audio jack, this occurs in the sound card or audio chipset on your motherboard.
For a USB headset, this occurs in the headset.

Something to consider with a USB headset is that it will only work with a computer. You cannot use these with other audio sources. You also need drivers installed to work correctly. In the case of the logitechs this means that the surround feature only works with drivers and without the LFE channel the headset does not have much bass.

The last time I researched headsets I found Corsair had competing products with Logitech, always cheaper and always with good reviews.

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017

I don't know much about them but there is a type called ModMic that just stick to your headphones, and I believe they are removable and re-stickable

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I checked it out and ModMic is $100 in NZ, that's about the same as what I could get a headset for. Considering price would you still recommend it?

bnewlands32

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2017

cant help you there... I don't have one so I don't know what they are like. maybe you could find a cheap knock-off or something