7.1 Headsets (Corsair HS1 or Razer MegaMegalodon)

hedgehog71

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Need some advice, im currently looking for a decent headset that provides 7.1 surround ready for when i get BF3 :)

I am too impatient to wait for the Razer triamat 7.1 true surround and i suspect it will be far too expensive so wondered if anyone can offer any advice as to alternatives.

I have been looking at the Corsair HS1 which is reasonably priced and the Razer Megalodon - do any of you guys have any experience with these headsets.

Thanks in advance
Toe :)

hedgehog71

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Sorry forgot to mention the Corsair is 50mm and the razer is 40mm so im guessing the corsair will be better quality sound?

SW11

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I presume you don't have a sound card- both of these are USB headphones, so they use the motherboard's onboard sound which is generally inferior to a sound card. If you have a sound card avoid both of these.

If you don't have a sound card I would get the Corsair HS1, it's very comfortable, has good sound qaulity and offers far better value for money than the more expensive Megalodon.

the razor headset is pretty flimsy they both sound ok but the razore does have build quality issues. a m8 of mine knocked his off his desk and a little bit of plastic broke off. he went to put the headset on and it didnt sit rite. he went to remove it and the cup dislodged and fell away from the rest of the headset...
not cool as they were less than a week old. he got them replaced after claiming they arrived in that state. a few months later same thing happend with similar results... h just taped it together and isnt happy about it.

USB headphones are extremely inferior to analog driven headphones. I recommend getting a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality card and a pair of nice Sony 7.1 headphones or Sharkoon 5.1 headphones. They are more expensive but they will give you much clearer sound all around. To boot, the Creative card has an awesome resampling engine which means that stereo audio will cut over cleanly to the LFE channel (subwoofer) without clipping, you really have to hear it to understand the difference.

hedgehog71

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Cheers for the advice so far guys. My gigabyte mobo has 7.1 audio integrated. Does a sound card really make that much difference?
I'm now in two minds as to buy the corsair surround headset and save for sound card and analogue headset later in the year or buy a decent sound card and then save up for a decent set of 7.1 analogue headphones later in the year and just stick with my creative 5.1 speakers for now!!!! I need to do some more research I think :)

hedgehog71

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Another couple of questions:
- Can anyone recommend a set of true 7.1 headset ? as far as i can see there is only the razer triamat.

- Which would be best a virtual 7.1 headset or a true 5.1 headset ?

Gadgetgeek89

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Take a look at the Turtle Beach line-up.. They have a very wide selection of headsets with many features and 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. My fav so far.
What is your budget like? I could recommend a specific set or check out my sig link I have review some headsets also.

Turtle Beach Review
www.turtlebeachreview.com

hedgehog71

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Cheers GadgetGeek

I will check out your link :D .

Im looking to spend preferably no more than £100 but obviously if there is a huge improvement for an extra £20 i would be tempted to spend more. :)
Im hoping i might get a good deal in the january sales.

All those headsets use Virtualization to emulate 7.1. Granted, one could argue that for headphones, this makes more sense then true 7.1. Either way, most soundcards have the ability to do the same thing via Dolby Headphone, so I don't see the need for surround headphones, since soundcards can do the same thing.

For your budget, the best soundcard option is the ASUS Xonar D1/DX(~$70 or so), which you can pair with a good set of stereo headphones, then use Dolby Headphone to get a 5.1/7.1 virtualized effect.

sam9291

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I bought the Razer Megalodon a couple months ago, I personally love them, the sound quality is great and they are light weight. The only issue I have with them is that the little snakes LED over the ears died 3 months after I bought them. But this does not affect the functionality, so I would recommend them.

actually m8 the g930s will change your mind. not only are they usb driven there wirless to boot. they easily match the sound from most analog combos of card and headset. especialy for gaming. all theses claims of analog headets being better is nonsense unless your using analog input like vinyl. if your using a digital source the difference is just about none existant as your dependant on the sample rate rather than the quality of the pickup/stylus

for reference i do have a creative card and i cant tell the difference. this is from some1 who has an audiophile for a father so i was brought up listening for minute differences in output...
his pride and joy is still a linn sondek which he treat like most of us teat our pc's ie always tweaking to get the best from it.