Question 7.1 Setup & MP3 playback issues

rajthampi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hi guys, I have a Windows 10 (1809) PC hooked to Onkyo receiver throught HDMI (NVidia GT Card/HDMI) that is connected to Sony Bravia TV (kd-65x9000f) on HDMI ARC.

I watch most of my stuffs through my computer (NetFlix, Amazon) primarily & listen to MP3 also. What I have noticed is, unlike an Amazon FireTV stick/Roku, PC doesn't automatically switch the audio to stereo while playing Youtube/audio files and every time I have to manually select "Stereo" for the speaker setup, so that it sounds better.

I am NOT sure whether this is the way PC audio is expected to function or I could do something to better it. Please suggest.

regards,

raj

It may not be your PC but your Onkyo's configuration. The Onkyo maybe using a Surround Prologic (fake surround is horrible) codec for stereo sources, so tell it, Stereo Source, keep it stereo, or stereo on all speakers (codec name of which is different from brand to brand).

rajthampi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hello @jsmithepa , it doesn't make much difference. After switching to stereo mode on the AVR (While PC is STILL configured for 7.1) hardly changes anything. Switching to 2.1 also plays the audio through front speakers avoiding the center one, thus hardly any noticeable changes. I think it is the way my AVR treats stereo streams. I am kind of used to my other PC that is hooked to 5.1 speaker system through Sound Blaster z card, that channels the stereo audio through center and front speakers & I feel the experience is far better from the AVR one. Anyway, it should be the way designed.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

regards,

TRENDING THREADS