7.2 to 9.2 with two receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeblow1

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Hi, is it possible to hook up two 7.2 receivers together to get true 9.2 surround sound or can this only be done by an actual 9.2 receiver? I’ve got the TX-RZ800 with preouts but this only gives the same sound in the preamped speakers as the channel it’s hooked to. Just wondering, thanks.

The problem with your wacky idea is, the surround processing cannot be "shared" I mean it would have to be designed from the beginning like those parallel processing computers with multiple CPUs slammed together, but no, audio vendors don't want to do this, they want u to upgrade the entire processor when adding more channels.

Now people who have SEPARATES, we run separate power amplifier boxes, so we just upgrade the processor, or AV Preamplifier, and we keep the power amp(s) we like for years and can add more power amp boxes (or blades) at will, but you are jumping into another category of expense, performance, desires. This is not a keep-the-cost down exercise.

USAFRet

Titan

No, that will not work.

It might work because the TX-RZ800 has line level back OR height pre outs.
What you can't get is Dolby Atmos processing since the RX800 doesn't have that but it does support 2 height channels.
Check the RZ800 speaker set up menu to see if it will let you configure it to 9 channels. You would want that line level output to be set to height speakers and you would use the built in amp for the surround back. The 2nd receiver would be used as an amp for those speakers. Set it to stereo and connect those speakers to the front speaker terminals.
The .2 usually means that they give you two mono subwoofer outputs which you can get with a Y splitter. I don't think you get actual stereo subwoofer outputs on most if any AVRs. Some surround sound preamp processors may have that function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS