Question 7.95 gb used out of 16 gb

Jul 19, 2019
Greetings all. I am new to the PC world and I have successfully built my own PC since early July but I have gotten to hardware troubles that I had to do a lot of research and questions being asked all around regarding my motherboard lighting up DRAM.

Originally my ram was Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200, and whenever I turned on my computer three distinct sounds could be heard and the motherboard lights up said hardware, my friend came over and gave a look at it only that one of them is malfunctioned even though they’re brand new.

Fast forward to when it is a working PC and I had to use 1 working ram, I bought a new set of RAM, I noticed that the DRAM did not light up in the motherboard, however I searched in my windows PC that it is currently using 7.95 gb out of 16 GB. I googled and YouTube for any possible answers but to no avail.

• I have run msconfig in my settings which popped up system configuration, then the boot tab, advanced options, under advanced options I checked maximum memory which it did showed 16gb from last I saw the other night. I hit ok, and ok once again, I clicked exit without restart. I hit start, looked for my system info, system protection, advanced tab, then under performance I hit settings, advanced tab once again, virtual memory, unchecked automatically managed and clicked on paging files. Proceeded to restart my computer, did not work.
  • I tested both of my new ram with using one of each ram in the same slot(s), says 8 GBG after each boot, no issue.
One thing I am noticing about my motherboard is there’s no reset switch like most do, just a simple battery to take out, wait a minute or more and put it back in. If that seems to be the case, I haven’t tried that method out, I will tonight once I get home. However, I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas into the problem I have before I start jamming my finger, or if all else fails get a new motherboard. This PC is exclusively for gaming that I use it for 75% of the time, the other is just YouTube and reddit. Here is the hardware I’m working with.

Motherboard - MSI B450M gaming plus
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600x
Graphics card - RTX 2060 6gb XC ultra
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Use the right slots, slot 2 and 4 from the left. Seat them correctly and completely, should click into place.
Reset switch? Do you mean the button on motherboard? AFAIK, most motherboards don't have it, just the more expensive boards for serious overclockers. You might have 2 pins for CLR CMOS. Short those for 10 secs and it is the same as removing battery for 30 secs. You short em by placing something metallic over both pins. Screwdriver is one example.
A trick that Buildzoid uses is you take the Reset button cable (Power, HDD LED, those cables) that connects to the cases front but connect it to Clear Cmos pins instead. Everytime you hold down Reset button on top of case for 10 secs, BIOS gets reset. It's nifty.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts