Sep 10, 2019
Hey!
I was playing csgo and i wanted to use geforce experience to record my gameplay,so i downloaded the driver for it mid game, had a black screen restarted the game, everything worked just fine.
Then i looked at the system spec and it said that i have 16gb of ram 7.95gb usable, so i fricked out went online and found the trick with the msconfig and set it to not max my ram.
Restarted and it still said the same thing so i downloaded the latest bios for my motherboard and flashed it.
When i ran windows the spec only says i have 7.95gb of ram.
Im kinda confused, i built this pc over a year ago and everything worked fine, i have a 2x8 gb kit from corsair 3000mhz. Also my motherboard is a b350 tomahawk.
Thanks in advance guys

Darkbreeze

Titan
Change the msconfig setting back to the normal configuration and don't ever mess with that again. Those settings are NOT for solving memory issues. They are for a very specific set of troubleshooting steps not related to unrecognized memory.

First, make sure you have the memory installed in the second and fouth slots over from the motherboard. If they are not, move them to those slots. These are the two slots INTENDED for use on ALL dual channel motherboards when only two DIMMs are installed and that is BY DESIGN. The architecture is designed to best make use of those two slots first, and the remaining two slots when all four DIMM slots are populated.

Next, do a HARD RESET of the BIOS.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

ASK THE COMMUNITY