7 Home Premium video memory

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
What is the minimum video memory for Windows 7 home premium, w/o aero? I surmise the card doesn't need to be 'WDDM 1.0' if I don't care about Aero yet.

I keep reading 128MB for Aero. However, I seem to be finding people w/7
running on older cards like AGP but it never states how much graphics memory
they've got. I'm hoping whatever I use will be recognized by 7 but experience
tells me drivers will be an issue. Any input would be great.

Thanks.

I've seen 128MB myself. I've also seen via a cursory search of google that some are doing just fine with 64MB. But why not throw a bit of cash into a new GPU? If you're upgrading your OS, you might as well get a hold of an ATI Radeon 4xxx series, as they are going pretty cheap these days no matter where you look.

I believe 128MB is needed for Aero to function. But as buwish said, you might as well invest in a newer video card anyway.

WDDM doesn't specifically refer to the card itself, but rather the driver the card uses. WDDM stands for Windows Display Driver Model. Many older cards are "compliant" with WDDM because of Nvidia and AMD's unified driver architecture (support a range of cards with a single driver, rather than write individual drivers for each video card model they produce). These drivers are built against the WDDM , thus allowing older cards to use certain features (such as Aero) under Windows Vista and 7.

mac29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Thank you both. Prophecy, that's alot more succinct than the minutiae I was reading about WDDM, although I got a similar take on it. Buwish, I'm being selective in updating. PS blew and took my mobo w/it so I've cobbled together a box w/a Duron (& mobo issues) for now : ( But I'm sold on a Core i5 and want DDR3. So it will happen but for now the improvements in upcoming Lynnefield cpu's is also intriguing. Meanwhile I've got a Gig of memory (new) that seems to have driver issues w/XP but should run fine w/7.

TRENDING THREADS