[SOLVED] $700 light Gaming and Solid Streaming Build?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
HOLD UP. I'm really sorry and I do appreciate all the work you guys did helping me with this, but I just heard from the wife... this isn't for the Sims 2, it's for the The Sims 3, a more demanding game released in 2010.

She wants to run the following expansion packs:
Pets
Generation
Seasons
Town Life
Outdoor living
Master Suite
Late NIght
High End Loft
Ambitions
University Life
Island paradise

Diesel Stuff
70s,80s,90s stuff

I installed it along with Windows 10 on the NUC which had a 32 GB HD (32GB eMMC onboard storage). I'm familiar with SSD, bu not sure where eMMC fits in. Very slow to load at every turn and no way to really play the game. Again, it was unplayable on the nuc, but the point is, it doesn't need a huge HD. I upgraded the Nuc to 8GB, but the rest was stock from the factory as follows:
  • Intel Celeron J3455
  • Intel HD Graphics 500
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64 preinstalled
  • 32GB eMMC onboard storage
  • 2GB DDR3L-1600 module preinstalled
So again, I still want the rock solid streaming, but maybe it's not worth the extra money to make it runs The Sims 3 smoothly. Same everything as in the original OP, but this time with The Sims 3. I might end up deciding it's just not worth spending the extra money on the hardware to get this one game running well, or (if the wife says) I might be willing to spend a little more than $700. The worst thing I could do was spend way more on a streaming rig than necessary only to have it not run The Sims 3 very well.

Anyway, so sorry for this mistake and still thankful for the builds, but could we start again?

Thank you!

--- old OP before edit ---
I just lost my intel nuc to some kind of power surge. ( NUC6CAYH , upgraded to 8 gb mem)

Primarily I've used this nuc for streaming online (since 2017). Honestly, it's always kinda sucked. Netflix always stalls a bit when I first bring up the page and the cursor has to warm up before it responds. This might have been partly because of the wireless keyboard mouse combo I was using and/or something to do with the nuc USB port I was using. I never was really able or willing to lock down the problem.

But this time around, I'd like to build it myself, preferably in a small case, maybe micro ATX? At times this PC will be moved to the my home office to be used for light excel/word work. Primarily it's used for streaming on an 32 HDTV (Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch), but I don't really care about playing at Ultra HD. Pretty much whatever netflix normally streams on is fine with me.

The secondary purpose is I'd like to play "The Sims 2" with some expansion packs without any issue. This game was released in 2002. I'm not really sure if it's more CPU or GPU hungry but it takes along time to load up and frame rate can be chuggy on inadequate hardware.

I actually posted about this build two months ago and got some good feedback but I ended up passing on it. Now with my dead nuc, I need to act and I know AMD has some new offerings so I'm hoping for a fresh recommendation.

Again, here's what's I'm looking for:
• Very solid streaming with quick loading of Netflix home page. Just watching in TV's native resolution.
• Very solid hardware for running "The Sims 2" with expansion packs (released 2002)
• Prefer a smaller case/form factor.

Budget: Let's say $700 which includes the cost of Windows 10 OEM ($100), but you could talk me up or down if there's a sweet spot for "bang for the buck". Please let me know if this budget is overkill for my needs.

Thanks for your advice!

Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:
Solution
Small form factor, fast 1TB SSD which should be more then enough room for the Sims 2 & expansions, quad core with 8 threads and Vega 11 iGPU which performs as good as the GT 1030. If the motherboard doesn't have the updated drivers then change the CPU to the 2400G.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($148.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W...

WildCard999

Titan
Small form factor, fast 1TB SSD which should be more then enough room for the Sims 2 & expansions, quad core with 8 threads and Vega 11 iGPU which performs as good as the GT 1030. If the motherboard doesn't have the updated drivers then change the CPU to the 2400G.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $610.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:18 EDT-0400

Solution
Well under budget and it will do what you need.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xkys6s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $468.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:18 EDT-0400

Reactions: Muckster
This one is a little bit more, but will be able to do more. But if you dont do anything other than watch netflix and play Sims 2, then you probably wont take advantage of the extra hardware.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cFys6s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $678.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:19 EDT-0400

logainofhades

Titan
Given what you want to do, this is overkill, gpu side, but cpu side you get good multitasking ability.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC MA01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.98 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $700.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:31 EDT-0400

This would get the job done, and in a smaller form factor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg Business)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $602.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:37 EDT-0400

Here's my take:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Apex TX-373 MicroATX Mid Tower Case w/300 W Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $503.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-22 10:38 EDT-0400

Things to note:
• Motherboard supports BIOS updating using MSI Flashback. This means that Ryzen 3000 support can be added without a compatible CPU, something the ones in the builds above cannot do.
• 16GB RAM might be overkill, but it means any multitasking you might want to do is covered...
• 300w included PSU is plenty, but doesn't cut it short either.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
This is great guys! Just checking in as I won't be able to really research your suggestions and get back to anyone until tomorrow. I especially appreciate you guys telling me if it's overkill and saving me a few bucks, but don't underestimate Sims 2 with many expansion packs. It demands at lot even for a 2002 game. As a reference, Sims 2 was completely unplayable on the Nuc (see OP). Very very long load times and long might-as-well-be-crashing game hangs. I already have a dedicated gaming rig so this really is only for the Sims 2 and streaming.

Still open to more build ideas, but won't check back until tomorrow. Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
This is great guys! Just checking in as I won't be able to really research your suggestions and get back to anyone until tomorrow. I especially appreciate you guys telling me if it's overkill and saving me a few bucks, but don't underestimate Sims 2 with many expansion packs. It demands at lot even for a 2002 game. As a reference, Sims 2 was completely unplayable on the Nuc (see OP). Very very long load times and long might-as-well-be-crashing game hangs. I already have a dedicated gaming rig so this really is only for the Sims 2 and streaming.

Still open to more build ideas, but won't check back until tomorrow. Thank you!
If you can let use know what the total storage requirements are for the Sims 2. I played it years ago and do remember quite a few expansion packs but I thought at most it was around the 50gb mark but maybe that's changed with modding. As for the load times a NVMe SSD should fix those issues.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
SO SORRY GUYS. I meant to say "The Sims 3" instead of 2. So sorry to put you through the trouble of those nice build lists for the wrong purpose. Please see edited OP if you haven't lost patience with me.

Thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
Ok so storage requirements (+mods) would probably be around 100gb or so which every build here easily surpassed so there really shouldn't be any issue and the game is from 2009 so it's really not that difficult to run, even on a Ryzen iGPU.

Although I did forget to ask, what resolution is the TV? At 1080P my recommendation stands but at 4K it's going to require a dedicated GPU.

dullaanees

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
My current PC cost me 715$ u can take a look at the specs to get an idea

Specs :
Intel Core i3-9100f 3.6GHz
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 8GB
Vengeance LX DDR4 3000 2x8GB
WD 1TB
Lexar SSD 256GB
MSI Z370-A Pro
Crosair VS650 650W
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

SO SORRY GUYS. I meant to say "The Sims 3" instead of 2. So sorry to put you through the trouble of those nice build lists for the wrong purpose. Please see edited OP if you haven't lost patience with me.

Thank you!
All of the builds that have been listed here would still meet the requirements for you. Not only this, but most of them will also be able to play the newest AAA games, such as Metro Exodus - albeit with low graphical settings and a target of 30 FPS. I think you are covered for your needs by choosing any of the builds with that includes either a Ryzen 5 2400g or Ryzen 5 3400g, plus NVMe storage.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Ok so storage requirements (+mods) would probably be around 100gb or so which every build here easily surpassed so there really shouldn't be any issue and the game is from 2009 so it's really not that difficult to run, even on a Ryzen iGPU.

I'd be surprised if the SIms 3, all installed was more than 50gb, then add WIndows 10. Maybe 150 gb SSD would be plenty, but drive are so cheap why not get something bigger..

Although I did forget to ask, what resolution is the TV? At 1080P my recommendation stands but at 4K it's going to require a dedicated GPU.

I really need to ask about this. The TV is Ultra HD. I run it on it's native 3840 x 2160, but everything I stream is HD at best. My netflix plan, "standard" doesn't even offer Ultra HD. So when the PC boots up, I'm running windows 10 at 3840 x 2160, then I open a browser with netflix and watch movies from there (or amazon prime). Would that explain the slowness I get when loading the Netflix home screen and the choppy cursor? Might my issues go away if I ran at HD? (1920 x 1080) (Netflix loads a bunch of smaller screen choices for movies and typically automatically runs a preview, so that's what's loading up). I never realy have an issue with streaming itself. Would I be better off just running Win 10 in HD resolution all the time? (1920 x 1080).

As for The Sims 3, I'd be running it at 1920 x 1080 at MOST. Any higher resolution than that and the fonts are too small to read.

WildCard999

Titan
The higher resolution could have a small impact on performance but every build here is way better then that NUC so at UHD (3840x2160) there should be no issue with Netflix/Internet unless your connection is pretty slow.

The Sims 3 @1080P is fine, much less taxing on the system then UHD so that's good.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply. It wasn't until I got the feedback here that I was better able to tell what I wanted and needed in this build. :)

The higher resolution could have a small impact on performance but every build here is way better then that NUC so at UHD (3840x2160) there should be no issue with Netflix/Internet unless your connection is pretty slow.

There is certainly no issue with the connection. I have a more powerful gaming rig and on that one the browser loads quicker and neflix literally just pops up loaded and ready to run the top page trailer/teaser. On my Nuc, at 3840x2160, it's a slow load and a choppy cursor.

So let me say it back to you so I understand. You're saying that any of the builds in this thread, (with the possible exception of dullaanees), I could run the desktop at the TV's native resolution of 3840x2160, and from there I would have no issues with quick loading the netflix home page and no issues with curosr stutter/slow down. Furthermore, I should be able to SMOOTHLY run Sims 3 at 1920×1080, right?

Are you also saying that I could smoothly stream netflix shows in UltraHD with any of the builds above? If that's a byproduct of making the build strong enough to run the Sims 3, that's fine. However, to be clear, I'm not really interested in STEAMING Netflix at UltraHD and wouldn't want to pay more for hardware just to do that.

With regards to my now dead Nuc, you're saying that even if I ran the desktop resolution as 1920x1080 instead of 3840x2160, I still would have had the same sluggish issues with browsing and loading up netflix, right? In other words, running a lower resolution on desktop with the NUC might have helped, but the fundamental problem was the NUC's hardware just wasn't up to the task of super smooth browsing. Is that right?

The Sims 3 @1080P is fine, much less taxing on the system then UHD so that's good.

Yes, let 1080p for Sims 3 be the target, but honestly I might not even run it on that high of a resolution if the fonts are still hard to read.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks again for all the builds and thanks more for those still checking in on this thread. I'm going to restate a couple things and add a little nuance so see if it makes any difference. Here's what I'm looking for:

• Ability to SMOOTHLY run The Sims 3 (2009 release) and most but not all expansion packs (see OP). The highest resolution I would ever run the game in would be HD (1920x1080p).

• Silky Smooth browsing and page loading, particularly of Neflix home page and Amazon Prime, youtube, etc.

• Although TV is a 49" UltraHD, I really don't care about streaming in UltraHD and would be content with HD Streaming. It would be nice to run the desktop in UltraHD (3840x2160 ).

• Windows 10 OEM

• Fast drive (SSD). I really can't imagine needing more than 250GB for any reason. Maybe if the bang for buck is too hard to pass up I could go 500gb.

New info...

• I'm a little nervous about NOT getting a dedicated GPU, as I don't really understand the graphics demands of The Sims 3 relative to GPU or CPU. I know threads won't matter much on an older game that doesn't utilize them. I'm not sure how much of the load times have to do with the hard drive rather than system memory, etc. I don't need an explanation from anyone. I just want to make sure that you guys are keeping these factors in mind. The Sims 3 with many expansions is a resource hungry beast very much more so than The Sims 3 base game with just one or two expansions. I don't think it was coded or tested to run well with so many expansions so hardware will have to pick up the slack.

• COOLING/FANS: This build will 95% of the time just be used for streaming at night, so I don't want a lot of fan noise while streaming and (preferrably not too much more when running Sims 3 either). I didn't mention this in the OP, but it is key.

• CASE: So I want the case to be as small as possible, mabye with a slight preference towards pizza box style over cube. Case will sit on top of a desk, so it's not enclosed in anyway and will plenty of room to breath. Obviously, it's critical that hardware be beefy enough to stream and run Sims 3. That's critical. Beyond that, I'd like the case to have good cooling design so that it's as quiet as possible. I'd be willing to pay more for higher quality fans. All this said, if it costs a lot more for components just to make is small and quiet, I'd be willing to go a little bigger case. I'm just trying to find the sweet spot.

I'm not too proud, and wouldn't mind a little spoon feeding for the fan types/sizes and location for them inside the case for those who have a good feel for case cooling!

Having seen the suggestions, I think wherever the cost ends up I'll be fine. I wouldn't mind erroring on the side of more powerful hardware. My concern there would be more about making the case louder/bigger than it needs to be rather than being worried about the cost.

For those still watching this long winded thread, I thank you! I'll comment more on specific builds tomorrow if anyone's still around.

True thanks for your help and patience!

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Bigger then the Chopin but a really good dedicated GPU, plenty of fast storage & a 6 core with 12 threads so easily handles streaming, multitasking, etc.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($57.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $718.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-24 22:51 EDT-0400

If the case is too big then change it to the Node 202 & the PSU to a SFF version.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($80.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $740.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-24 22:53 EDT-0400

As for cooling both cases would work fine if you route the cables correctly to keep them from preventing hot air from escaping the case.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Bigger then the Chopin but a really good dedicated GPU, plenty of fast storage & a 6 core with 12 threads so easily handles streaming, multitasking, etc.

Thanks again Wildcard. Of the two builds, I like the Node 2 case better for it's horizontal orientation and slightly smaller overall size.

I'm not up on the latest hardware so I wasn't trying to push the build to a dedicated GPU, just raising the question. How critical are multiple cores and threads to streaming? I'm running a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 4GB/Xeon 1230 v3 33/16gB mem on a 27" IPS monitor on a build I did in 2014. I'm not sure if the R9 290 even has multiple cores/threads, but Neflix pops up just fine on this 2014 build. My point about the cores and threads was that Sims 3 (and many older games) weren't designed to utilize them.

As for cooling both cases would work fine if you route the cables correctly to keep them from preventing hot air from escaping the case.

Okay, so it doesn't sound like there are any special concerns with regards to cooling.

WildCard999

Titan
Well the Xeon is a 4C/8T CPU but it really shouldn't matter that much but for the price if your using a dedicated GPU the 2600 is a good buy. If your not going for the dedicated GPU then just get the Chopin build, it's smaller but you need to make sure that the motherboard has updated BIOS or it won't run that 3rd gen 3400G. If it isn't updated then grab the 2400G as they perform pretty close and use the same iGPU (Vega 11).

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Wildcard,

Thanks for sticking with me all this long thread. I just edit/wiped this post clean and started over..

...If your not going for the dedicated GPU then just get the Chopin build, it's smaller

Well, I really truly don't know if I need a GPU for my needs. I've built many PCs over the years but I just don't keep up with the latest tech. All I can say I don't ever intend to upgrade and Sims 3 and smooth streaming are the ONLY purposes for this build.

That said, I've looked things over and ... I REALLY like the Chopin build you did because it's so small. But I still have a few long winded follow up questions...

1. You posted this right after my OP, when I was talking about Sims 2. If you're not CERTAIN it will SMOOTHLY run Sims 3 @1080p with all those expansions listed in the OP, please say so now! Still true even with the 2400G?

2. With such a small case, are you sure it won't be so cramped that it will run hot and therefore produce loud and excessive fan noise? I'm in my 50s. Having a loud PC and trying to listen to TV dialogue is real problem for old farts like me.

3. Is the 150W PSU included with the Chopin powerful enough? I know nothing about it, but if fan noise is an issue, should I consider swapping it out for something quieter?

4. Does the CPU come with an adequate stock fan? Is it loud? If so, should I consider a 3rd party replacement? True for 3400 as well as 2400?

5. Could you spoon feed me a 500 GB replacement for that 1TB SSD you first linked? Again, not up on the latest interfaces or possible modern day issues with drive manufacturers.

6. Mobo CPU support:
but you need to make sure that the motherboard has updated BIOS or it won't run that 3rd gen 3400G. If it isn't updated then grab the 2400G as they perform pretty close and use the same iGPU (Vega 11).

Well, here's the mobo page followed by the bios flash:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#CPU

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITXac/index.us.asp#BIOS

On the flash page, update version 3.30, dated 6/4/2019, states "Supports AMD next generation Ryzen™ processors". Is that what we're looking for to support that "3rd gen 3400G"?

If so, I've flashed the bios with other builds. But how to I flash the bios on a mobo on a build where the CPU I'm using isn't supported? Sort of a chicken and the egg situation. Or, do I need to make sure somehow that the mobo bios is at least revision 3.3 before I buy it?

7. I'm also thinking about getting some quiet case fans. Maybe Enermax UC-8EB 25 cfm 80mm, if you don't think I'm compromising on cooling by using them..

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
1. It will play it smoothly on max settings @1080P smoothly. The iGPU is similar to the GTX 750 ti and there's more then a few YT vids showing the game playing smoothly with that card but it will be even better as the 3400G/2400G is much better then what there using for CPUs.

2. The stock cooler keeps the CPU/iGPU fairly cool and even in a smaller case such as the Chopin the hot air is exhausted right out above the cooler so no worries. If the stock cooler is too loud then replace it with the Noctua L9i AM4.

3. Yes it's powerful enough and should be quiet.

4. See 2.

5. If you just want the standard SATA SSD then this is my recommendation however the M.2 NVMe are not only faster but easier to install (typically) as they connect directly to the motherboard. On the Asrock B450 ITX board it is located on the back but there are other boards that have it on the front which would be easier.
PCPartPicker Part List
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $64.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 09:17 EDT-0400

M.2 NVMe recommendation.
PCPartPicker Part List
Total: $59.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 09:19 EDT-0400

6. Contact Newegg or whichever retailor your buying from and ask if the Asrock B450 ITX board comes with a updated BIOS enough to use the 3rd gen CPU's. If they are unsure then get the 2400G, the difference between that and the 3400G is about 5-10 FPS but the 2400G is a bit cheaper so it may be the better choice anyways.

One last thing, make sure you update the iGPU drivers from AMD and enable AXMP in the BIOS as this will ensure the best performance out of the system. If you live near Massachusetts I'd be more then happy to help you build it as well as get everything installed.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
1. It will play it smoothly on max settings @1080P smoothly. The iGPU is similar to the GTX 750 ti and there's more then a few YT vids showing the game playing smoothly with that card but it will be even better as the 3400G/2400G is much better then what there using for CPUs.

2. The stock cooler keeps the CPU/iGPU fairly cool and even in a smaller case such as the Chopin the hot air is exhausted right out above the cooler so no worries. If the stock cooler is too loud then replace it with the Noctua L9i AM4.

I'll look into the L9i and have it ready as an option.

3. Yes it's powerful enough and should be quiet.

4. See 2.

Great! I just wanted to make sure your first post still held true even after I got more specific and even changed things about the build later in the thread.

5. If you just want the standard SATA SSD then this is my recommendation however the M.2 NVMe are not only faster but easier to install (typically) as they connect directly to the motherboard. On the Asrock B450 ITX board it is located on the back but there are other boards that have it on the front which would be easier.
PCPartPicker Part List
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $64.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 09:17 EDT-0400

M.2 NVMe recommendation.
PCPartPicker Part List
Total: $59.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-27 09:19 EDT-0400

I know I simple said SSD, but but "M.2 NVMe SSD" is totally the way to go. Faster, no cables, and more compact in a small case. I used one on my last build a couple months ago. Totally the better option even it came at a higher price which it didn't.

6. Contact Newegg or whichever retailor your buying from and ask if the Asrock B450 ITX board comes with a updated BIOS enough to use the 3rd gen CPU's. If they are unsure then get the 2400G, the difference between that and the 3400G is about 5-10 FPS but the 2400G is a bit cheaper so it may be the better choice anyways.

Well I know I've been saying I just want to be good enough to do the tasks listed, but I'm still an old computer geek and so I'd like to squeeze out that extra 5-10 fps if I can. The difference now is I'm older and and have money to throw at it. So, is there a different newer, more expensive, mobo that would fit the needs of this build that would be certain to support the 3400G right out of the box? I'd be happy to spend more for less hassle and peace of mind. Also, this extra research can sometimes be a rabbit hole of delays and it would be nice to finally pull the trigger on this build.

If not, then does the 3.30 bios flash seem to be what we were looking for? (see my previous link on the B450.) I ask because if I talk to a retailer and he says it's flashed to 3.3 or more I know I'm good. New Egg is great and I've been using them for many years, but more in this last year or so I find their tech support can be hit & miss. I'd like to have something definitive for them to check and I might even check with Asrock too.

Finally, I MIGHT have an old AM4 CPU laying around that will let me boot and flash the bios. Mobo/system ram/CPU/PSU and USB thumb drive is all I should need right?

Again, would be preferred to just throw money at an out-of-box-ready mobo if that's an option!

One last thing, make sure you update the iGPU drivers from AMD and enable AXMP in the BIOS as this will ensure the best performance out of the system. If you live near Massachusetts I'd be more then happy to help you build it as well as get everything installed.

This is good to know. I usually download and install the latest drivers from the mobo website but sometimes I skip ones if they don't seem relevant and I'm not always up to date on what needs to be activated in the cmos.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $368.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-28 07:07 EDT-0400

Okay, thanks again.

Option #1. First mobo paired with the 2400G:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=nZFMcf
$565.26

Option #2. The more advanced Mobo with the 3400G:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=CjJZf7
$695.66

That's $130 for a 23% increase in cost for 5-10 fps. I appreciate the option, but I've come full circle. If the 2400G system can do what I need it to do, I think I'll just stay with that.

BUT, there's still a problem... PC Parts Picker is telling me the stock fan for the 2400G won't have enough clearance in the Chopin. So...

Option #3. Here's the first mobo with the 2400G and the Noctua NH-L9i
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=wGxjpg
$605.21

Comparing this with the new mobo build, it's only a $90 difference, or 15% more.

All said and done, I think I'll go with Option #3. I lose out on the extra 5-10 fps, but I'll get a quieter CPU cooler out of the deal.

Wildcard. My last request to you is that you please take a look just so that I've laid out the options correctly. If I have, I'll go with Option #3!

Thank you again for all the help!

Last edited: