7200 RPM Hitachi TravelStar shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone know why 7,200 RPM Hitachi TravelStar hard drives are so hard to
come by these days? NewEgg had them briefly a month or so ago, raising
the price for the 60 gig from about $150 to almost $200.
They're not available many other places on the Web.

stephentimko@my-deja.com wrote:
>Anyone know why 7,200 RPM Hitachi TravelStar hard drives are so hard to
>come by

I'd suspect they are retooling their production lines to build the
7K100 drives, but having yield problems that are preventing them from
shipping anything.

My 7K60 blew up after about a year, and I couldn't get a 7K100, so I
settled for another vendor's 5400RPM 100G drive, and I'm moderately
happy with it.

William P. N. Smith wrote:

> stephentimko@my-deja.com wrote:
>
>>Anyone know why 7,200 RPM Hitachi TravelStar hard drives are so hard to
>>come by
>

> I'd suspect they are retooling their production lines to build the
> 7K100 drives, but having yield problems that are preventing them from
> shipping anything.
>
> My 7K60 blew up after about a year, and I couldn't get a 7K100, so I
> settled for another vendor's 5400RPM 100G drive, and I'm moderately
> happy with it.

Let me guess, you have a Seagate. You would do us a big favor by
explaining why you are only moderately happy with it.

--
John Doue

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:53:20 GMT, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>William P. N. Smith wrote:
>
>Let me guess, you have a Seagate. You would do us a big favor by
>explaining why you are only moderately happy with it.

Well, I can tell you that I do have a Seagate 100GB 5400RPM drive.
I'm similar to the OP, in that I'm only moderately happy with mine.
It runs fast, it has a large capacity, but it is louder than the
fans in my ThinkPad. I have had several older notebook drives fail
and when I hear a drive that loud, part of my subconscious doesn't
trust it. I still have the drive, but I have since swapped it with a
Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 80GB 5400RPM drive. The 100GB drive is now in
an external enclosure and I use it for "long term storage".

I have been considering one of the Toshiba 100GB 5400RPM drives, but
I don't have the extra $200 to spend now, especially since my system
is working fine, albeit with a little less free space than I'd
like...

Jerry Bloomfield wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:53:20 GMT, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>William P. N. Smith wrote:
>>
>>Let me guess, you have a Seagate. You would do us a big favor by
>>explaining why you are only moderately happy with it.
>

> Well, I can tell you that I do have a Seagate 100GB 5400RPM drive.
> I'm similar to the OP, in that I'm only moderately happy with mine.
> It runs fast, it has a large capacity, but it is louder than the
> fans in my ThinkPad. I have had several older notebook drives fail
> and when I hear a drive that loud, part of my subconscious doesn't
> trust it. I still have the drive, but I have since swapped it with a
> Hitachi Travelstar 80GB 80GB 5400RPM drive. The 100GB drive is now in
> an external enclosure and I use it for "long term storage".
>
> I have been considering one of the Toshiba 100GB 5400RPM drives, but
> I don't have the extra $200 to spend now, especially since my system
> is working fine, albeit with a little less free space than I'd
> like...
The Hitachi and IBM Travelstar drives I use on my Thinkpad and on my
other laptop (Twinhead) are virtually inaudible and I would never accept
a drive as loud as you describe. Noise in hard drives especially is not
synonymous of quality engineering since it means that somehow energy is
wasted with the resulting wear, tear and heat. Although in your case,
the noise may not mean impending doom, I fully agree with you and I
think you are wise to limit its function.

--
John Doue

John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>William P. N. Smith wrote:
>> My 7K60 blew up after about a year, and I couldn't get a 7K100, so I
>> settled for another vendor's 5400RPM 100G drive, and I'm moderately
>> happy with it.

>Let me guess, you have a Seagate. You would do us a big favor by
>explaining why you are only moderately happy with it.

Yes, sorry, ST9100823A. It seems to be OK but it takes significantly
longer to boot than the 7K60, though that could well be some other
software configuration thing.

Mine's not very noisy, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.