7200RPM vs 5400 SSHD

pandagains

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Currently, i have a toshiba laptop that has the stock 5400RPM hard drive. The laptop is so slow on boot times as well as just simply using windows. I believe the drive is going bad because it is running at a constant 100% in task manager, occasionally dropping down to the lower numbers. The hardware itself is not to blame for the system's poor performance. It currently has an i7 4710HQ with 8Gb of RAM. I did a full system restore so i know malware is not the cause of the situation. So that goes back to me deciding on a new hard drive. Since I will be using this laptop for school and light programs, gaming performance is not an issue. I just want a drive that is fast and loads everything including windows at a decent pace. I am stuck between purchasing a 2.5 7200RPM or one of Seagate's firecudas that are 5400RPM but have 8GB of ssd performance (no idea is that is even enough). I am hesitant on the 7200 because I think it will heat up the laptop and might fall in performance compared to the SSHD. I am also hesitant on the SSHD because the 5400 RPM and the low 8gb reserved for boot times. If anyone can help me out in choosing a correct drive, it would be great.
p.s- this is a school laptop, therefore there is no reason for me to get an SSD.

Hello pandagains. If your sole purpose of the upgrade is for school, you may want to consider the BarraCuda 2.5 HDD. As for the system heating up, a normal PC case should provide adequate cooling as the operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius.

Also, all hard drives in the BarraCuda family come equipped with Multi-Tier Caching Technology (MTC). MTC takes your PC to new performance levels, so you can load applications and files faster than ever before. By applying intelligent layers of NAND Flash, DRAM and media cache technologies.

Independently of what drive you choose, we thank you for considering Seagate.