720k to 1.4meg disk hole puncher

this maybe somewhat an odd question..

does anyone know who sells this product where a 3.5 720K disk can be
converted to 3.5 1.4meg disk by using a tool that punches an extra hole
in the disk?

I have such a tool, its called "double disk converter: precision disk
converter tool" , but don't know who sells it an equivalent tool or if
it is still being sold at all.....

someone I know wants one, but can't find provide a link for it.

"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote...
> this maybe somewhat an odd question..
>
> does anyone know who sells this product where a 3.5 720K disk can be converted
> to 3.5 1.4meg disk by using a tool that punches an extra hole in the disk?
>
> I have such a tool, its called "double disk converter: precision disk
> converter tool" , but don't know who sells it an equivalent tool or if it is
> still being sold at all.....
>
> someone I know wants one, but can't find provide a link for it.

Woulda been a legitimate question 10 or 15 years ago, but not today...

720K FDs usta be marginal for 1.44 use even when they were new, because of the
different specs for the media (not as tight as the 360K - 1.2M difference for
5.25 FDs, but still different). Today, when any 720K media is bound to be OLD
or bootleg, and the cost is so low, it doesn't make sense to risk your data...

John Weiss wrote:

>"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote...
>

>>this maybe somewhat an odd question..
>>
>>does anyone know who sells this product where a 3.5 720K disk can be converted
>>to 3.5 1.4meg disk by using a tool that punches an extra hole in the disk?
>>
>>I have such a tool, its called "double disk converter: precision disk
>>converter tool" , but don't know who sells it an equivalent tool or if it is
>>still being sold at all.....
>>
>>someone I know wants one, but can't find provide a link for it.
>>

>Woulda been a legitimate question 10 or 15 years ago, but not today...
>
>720K FDs usta be marginal for 1.44 use even when they were new, because of the
>different specs for the media (not as tight as the 360K - 1.2M difference for
>5.25 FDs, but still different). Today, when any 720K media is bound to be OLD
>or bootleg, and the cost is so low, it doesn't make sense to risk your data...

its not for the data per se, but more use as a decorative ornament
without cracking the plastic case.

Drilling works, but chips of plastic left inside the disk package can
eventually scratch the disk. Melting a hole in the disk with a
soldering iron is safer in this respect.

Contrary to myth, 720K and 1.44M disks are not identical except for the
extra hole, and 720K disks don't work reliably at 1.44M because the
magnetic coatings are different. The coercivities (roughly, how hard
it is to change the magnetic state) are very similar, but the 1.44M
coating has a grain size half as large and it's only half as thick.
You can verify the thickness by opening the shutter and holding the
disk up to a strong light. A 720K disk won't let any light through,
but a 1.44M disk will be slightly transparent red. The same test can
be used to distinguish 5.25" 1.2M disks from other densities.

TRENDING THREADS