horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi everybody! Last time I made a post was for advice in what to change in my PC, now I´m testing and overclocking my CPU, and I think it is going pretty hot.

Well, I have an Athlon II x2 260 regor @ 3.2 Ghz,into a CoolerMaster Elite 430 (changed front fan intake to the rear and make it an exhaust, also I added an small and fast fan as intake on the front)

Which I overcloked to get an 3.5 Ghz on stock fan and default Voltage... Since i got a certified PSU ( i had a generic one) i feel confident in change voltage values. Now, i pulled my processor to 3.6ghz, stable overlock but i had to change the voltage to 1.5v to get it! testing with Prime95 i got 74º Celcius... And i have been reading that some CPUs work at high temps but i really cant find any post, blog or review saying that my processor can handle so much heat...

With Everest Ultimate Edition I have the next result of temp:

CPU Temperature : Max 74º C

Core 1 Temp: Max 64º C
Core 2 temp: Max 64º C

Mobo temp: Max 40º C

Everything else stay on low temperature.

I have to say, that my mobo is an ASRock N68S-C UCC.. I have been doing the overlocking from the Bios.

Now My questions are:

Should I reduce the voltage and increase the bus by 1 untill i get again 3.6Ghz with less volage?

Should I increase my voltage and clock cuz the temperatures arent that bad?

With anything else to call, I will really apreciate any help and advice :)

Solution
The temps aren't dangerously high, but I wouldn't go higher if I were you. If you still have the factory standard heat sink and fan (HSF), I would recommend you look at a different cooler before attempting anything more. Also keep in mind that the CPU you have isn't the best of CPU's, not really meant for overclocking and overclocking it won't really help you gain performance.

In short though: You're currently fine but don't overclock further with the stock HSF.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The temps aren't dangerously high, but I wouldn't go higher if I were you. If you still have the factory standard heat sink and fan (HSF), I would recommend you look at a different cooler before attempting anything more. Also keep in mind that the CPU you have isn't the best of CPU's, not really meant for overclocking and overclocking it won't really help you gain performance.

In short though: You're currently fine but don't overclock further with the stock HSF.

Solution

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks a lot Toxxyc.

I though that i was going to be able to pull my processor to 3.8 or something... Since a review a guy overcloked it to get 4.0ghz. I should say that trying to get down the voltage i could manage to get 1.475V and a stable 3.6Gz overlock, also less heat! Im ok with it.

So well, before atemping to push my little Regor to something elso I'd change it for a phenom x4 BE and if possible and a good cooler :) I wouldnt spent money in a cooler if i can save for a better processor.

I apreaciate your advice sir

If you get a good enough cooler it will last you for several processors and motherboards. It is a one time purchase of something that is only $30-50, and will allow you to go so much further on OCing. It is a very necessarily tool for anyone who overclocks. I do not OC myself (bad expierence a long time ago, and I find parts last longer at stock), but my Zalman cooler has been with 4 motherboards and 3 processors over the last few years, and keeps everything silent and cold compared to the stock fan (though the newer intel stock fans are suprisingly good for how tiny they are).

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

You're arguing the wrong way, and this:

Responds perfectly. If you're looking at overclocking, even slightly or without the intention of pressing hard, an aftermarket cooler is crucial to the protection of your hardware. Even for non-overclockers and aftermarket cooler is an extremely viable option due to lower noise and better efficiency. I bought my Hyper 212+ when I OC'ed on my Asus motherboard, which since popped. In the meantime I've replaced the board with an MSI board which OC's like ***, so my Q8400 is running at stock speeds with the aftermarket cooler, and I'm not sorry about it. If at all you're enjoying overclocking (which you should, it's amazing fun to succeed), you cannot go without a decent cooler. It's like a hammer is to a carpenter - you can smash the nails with a brick, but it's a chore and dangerous, and seriously limits your capability.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I'd suggest you to get a aftermarket cooler like coolermaster hyper 212+ . I have this cooler on my old p4 ht when it gets above 70c all the time on stock cooler. By using the hyper 212 it sits below 60c. Now i am using it on my phenom ii 955 at 3.6 on stock voltage. The temp is 36-38c idle and 44 to 48 at load.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Well, I should say that I`m not from US where aftermarket Coolers are more common= cheaper... In my country there's no actual tecnoStore or cumputershops that sell this kind of cooler, also here are cheaper the motherboard +processors than software or orhter PC parts, lets say coolers for processor.

I did not intend to contradict myself, but i know i did. I apologize.

Here an mid range mother board + procssor cost from 150-250$ (yes it cheaper than US) but as coolers, GPU and other parts are not that common so those are way too expensive, they cost let's say the Hyper 212+ cost arount 120$, coolermaster V6 over 160$ and theres only 1 vendor in my country which exports them.

claryfing, I'd spent money here(in my country, Venezuela) getting a better processor for overall improvement than a cooler. I travel regulary to US from 4 to 6 times at year, in my next travel i will buy a good cooler and a GPU.

Hope you understands, since my grammar its getting worst every day i dont use it :sweat:

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Understood. Take note that I'm not from the US either. I live in South Africa. I would recommend dropping the prospect of overclocking highly before you have a decent cooler, and seeing as how you travel to the US fairly often (4~6 times a year means about every 2~3 months?) it shouldn't be that hard :)