[SOLVED] 75 and higher cpu idle temp

Oct 19, 2020
My computer has been running hot and I've cleaned out the fans and yet the cpu temp is usually 75 degrees Celsius with spikes that can reach the upper 90's my gpu temp is averaging around 60 and move from there very often, Help?

Solution
I Have a laptop, Dell g5 15 5587
the only thing I know is core i7-8750H and Gtx 1050 ti

I assumed that you have a desktop initially... having a laptop changes things.
Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU?
If you didn't, I'll suggest you try that too. You'll need to clean the heatsinks, the CPU and GPU die with isopropyl alcohol, then reapply new thermal paste (a blob the size of a grain of rice should be sufficient).

Another thing that's maybe causing your overheating issue might be Dell's fan curve... they're usually trying to maintain the laptop as quiet as possible, that resulting in the fans ramping up too late. This could be solved only if they've released a newer BIOS version with a different fan...
I Have a laptop, Dell g5 15 5587
the only thing I know is core i7-8750H and Gtx 1050 ti

I assumed that you have a desktop initially... having a laptop changes things.
Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU?
If you didn't, I'll suggest you try that too. You'll need to clean the heatsinks, the CPU and GPU die with isopropyl alcohol, then reapply new thermal paste (a blob the size of a grain of rice should be sufficient).

Another thing that's maybe causing your overheating issue might be Dell's fan curve... they're usually trying to maintain the laptop as quiet as possible, that resulting in the fans ramping up too late. This could be solved only if they've released a newer BIOS version with a different fan curve. Updating the BIOS (if there are new versions) might be worth the shot too.

EDIT: Try the Dell Power Manager app too... they actually have some additional heat management plans with different fan curves.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 19, 2020
Dell power manager only has Battery information, earlier I noticed quite a lot of dust when I was installing ram but to reach that area i have to take out Pretty much everything, should I do that or can I just compressed air can it?