Question 75 hz or 144 hz for a monitor

swez

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hi , I'm planning to upgrade my monitor .
I'm split between getting a 75 hz or 144 hz one .
I'm worried that my pc might not handle some games "I dont play any new games" at 144 hz and the image might be bad or something . Mostly I play dota 2
CPU - Ryzen 3 1200 OC to 4,00 ghz
GPU - RX 470 4 GB
RAM - 8 Gigs "planning to upgrade to 16 dual channel
Both monitors support freesync and similar price so I'm split for witch to go for .
I overclocked my last monitor from 60 to 75 and the difference was day and night . Burned out and stopt working . Now the one I'm using is 60 and it hurts my eyes .

144hz should be better
if monitor doesnt support variable refresh rate, you can play at half fps without getting any discomfort (72fps half vsync)...60fps lock games would have judder at 75/144Hz, but both monitors can run at 60Hz aswell

xherbertx

BANNED
Aug 27, 2022
144Hz. No brainer. Don't even think about 75Hz. 144Hz from a 60Hz is like going from HDD to SSD the first time. 75Hz isn't enough of a jump. Once you go 144Hz you won't go back. AMD freesync should eliminate any screen tearing. I have NVIDIA so I've never used it, and my 2080 pushes over 144Hz so I can't tell you what it's like to dip below that, but from what I've researched it will only push frames at the right time if under monitor refresh.

TLDR: Buy 144Hz. Zero question about it.

Nighthawk117

Respectable
Hi , I'm planning to upgrade my monitor .
I'm split between getting a 75 hz or 144 hz one .
I'm worried that my pc might not handle some games "I dont play any new games" at 144 hz and the image might be bad or something . Mostly I play dota 2
CPU - Ryzen 3 1200 OC to 4,00 ghz
GPU - RX 470 4 GB
RAM - 8 Gigs "planning to upgrade to 16 dual channel
Both monitors support freesync and similar price so I'm split for witch to go for .
I overclocked my last monitor from 60 to 75 and the difference was day and night . Burned out and stopt working . Now the one I'm using is 60 and it hurts my eyes .
Your hardware is not up to the task of playing the latest games at 144hz. However there are older and less demanding games where a higher refresh rate is still beneficial on such a system, CS Go and Overwatch for example. I can't comment on Dota 2 though, I've never played it. I have a 144hz monitor, I play a few shooters at 144hz and everything else at 60hz.

The fact you overclocked your old monitor to 75hz means you are not satisfied with 60hz. If you buy a 75hz monitor you will only end up buying again before long, just get the 144hz monitor.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS