Question 75 hz or 144 hz for a monitor

swez

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Hi , I'm planning to upgrade my monitor .
I'm split between getting a 75 hz or 144 hz one .
I'm worried that my pc might not handle some games "I dont play any new games" at 144 hz and the image might be bad or something . Mostly I play dota 2
CPU - Ryzen 3 1200 OC to 4,00 ghz
GPU - RX 470 4 GB
RAM - 8 Gigs "planning to upgrade to 16 dual channel
Both monitors support freesync and similar price so I'm split for witch to go for .
I overclocked my last monitor from 60 to 75 and the difference was day and night . Burned out and stopt working . Now the one I'm using is 60 and it hurts my eyes .

xherbertx

BANNED
Aug 27, 2022
144Hz. No brainer. Don't even think about 75Hz. 144Hz from a 60Hz is like going from HDD to SSD the first time. 75Hz isn't enough of a jump. Once you go 144Hz you won't go back. AMD freesync should eliminate any screen tearing. I have NVIDIA so I've never used it, and my 2080 pushes over 144Hz so I can't tell you what it's like to dip below that, but from what I've researched it will only push frames at the right time if under monitor refresh.

TLDR: Buy 144Hz. Zero question about it.

Hi , I'm planning to upgrade my monitor .
I'm split between getting a 75 hz or 144 hz one .
I'm worried that my pc might not handle some games "I dont play any new games" at 144 hz and the image might be bad or something . Mostly I play dota 2
CPU - Ryzen 3 1200 OC to 4,00 ghz
GPU - RX 470 4 GB
RAM - 8 Gigs "planning to upgrade to 16 dual channel
Both monitors support freesync and similar price so I'm split for witch to go for .
I overclocked my last monitor from 60 to 75 and the difference was day and night . Burned out and stopt working . Now the one I'm using is 60 and it hurts my eyes .
Your hardware is not up to the task of playing the latest games at 144hz. However there are older and less demanding games where a higher refresh rate is still beneficial on such a system, CS Go and Overwatch for example. I can't comment on Dota 2 though, I've never played it. I have a 144hz monitor, I play a few shooters at 144hz and everything else at 60hz.

The fact you overclocked your old monitor to 75hz means you are not satisfied with 60hz. If you buy a 75hz monitor you will only end up buying again before long, just get the 144hz monitor.