Build Advice 750, 850 or 1000w PSU for 3080 12gb/12700k build

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Back with another question and probably will be back again with another soon, mainly trying to figure out what to do here and my last two problems are the PSU and case. I'm wanting to build a PC that I can both game and stream from. My current set up is this pc: (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/demonicvampiregirl/saved/CxPCzy), I'd love to just upgrade this one but sadly, some of the games I like to play tend to eat the CPU/RAM, so there is no way I'd be able to stream from it and play the game at the same time without potential crashing. With that in mind, I'm looking to get an entirely new build to do both gaming/streaming from. I'm currently looking at going with this set up (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/demonicvampiregirl/saved/DJMrMp). I got to messing around with the build with it's fans to see if I could lower the price going between RGB/AIO water cooled and non-RGB/air cooled. I noticed when I did that, the estimated wattage used went up rather than down, so I made a comment on a couple discord servers I'm in. One of them asked what PSU I intended to use and told them 850 or 1000w. They was said I could use a 750w and be fine, as I also had no intention of overclocking any thing minus using XMP on my RAM.

Are they correct in that I could lower the PSU to a 750 or 850w PSU? At worst I may use MSI Afterburner to turn the fans on the GPU to keep it cooler if the temps when it's idling are higher than I expect. I know these cards and CPUs are kind of meant for that, but I'm not really interested in that as of right now.

KyaraM

Admirable
Would go with the 850W or higher to be on the save side, especially with transients. Also, get a DH15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, you will save a lot of money. The 12700k isn't that hot especially if you are smart and optimize power draw. Also, go 2x16GB instead of 4x8GB, there is little reason to get 4x8 kit.

You normally don't need extra thermal paste, either, it's usually included and differences are minimal. If you want to go with a 1700k, get a Z690 board. The MSI boards are really good and you can even save money, paying over 200 bucks for a B-series board is nonsense when you can get a Z-series board for that money. Just don't. Else, grab a 12700 without the k because there is literally no use in slapping an OC CPU on a non-OC board, and again, there are good B-series boards for far less money, it's just not worth it. I also wouldn't get a QVO SSD, performance dives off a cliff the secon cache gets full:

For the M.2, I would go with the WD Black SN850 without heat spreader. Pretty much all good boards should have one anyways and they are sufficient, especially with MSI boards from own experience.

demidemon

Honorable
Sep 13, 2018
Would go with the 850W or higher to be on the save side, especially with transients. Also, get a DH15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, you will save a lot of money. The 12700k isn't that hot especially if you are smart and optimize power draw. Also, go 2x16GB instead of 4x8GB, there is little reason to get 4x8 kit.

You normally don't need extra thermal paste, either, it's usually included and differences are minimal. If you want to go with a 1700k, get a Z690 board. The MSI boards are really good and you can even save money, paying over 200 bucks for a B-series board is nonsense when you can get a Z-series board for that money. Just don't. Else, grab a 12700 without the k because there is literally no use in slapping an OC CPU on a non-OC board, and again, there are good B-series boards for far less money, it's just not worth it. I also wouldn't get a QVO SSD, performance dives off a cliff the secon cache gets full:

For the M.2, I would go with the WD Black SN850 without heat spreader. Pretty much all good boards should have one anyways and they are sufficient, especially with MSI boards from own experience.

I'm going to probably go with the EVGA suggested above, I just need to update the pc list once I get decided on a PC case. I really don't want the giant Phanteks case but it's got a way to cover the buttons so my cats can't step on them. Where I intend to put the case, the cats have a tendency to run over the PC that's sitting there as is (it's dead now). I've yelled at them every time but I can't catch them all the time as they mostly do it when I'm asleep.

As for thermal paste, I'm getting it as a precaution and just in case. No big deal on if I get it or not. I'm going with the 12700k as I'm trying to stream and game from the same PC and I've noticed some of my games that I play the most tend to also eat my CPU, so I can't have that while trying to stream/game from one PC. I was also told there was no use getting a Z series board, so I went with the one you see in the list. I don't even want to OC the CPU or anything as of right now.

What MSI board for the 12700k would you recommend then? I'll be looking at other SSDs in place of the QVO since you pointed out the cache issue, didn't even know that was a thing. I've found some Western Digitals with the same storage space as the QVO so probably going with one of those instead. As for the heat spreader, the reason I want to get that is because I noticed when I was gaming on my 1080ti, the temps would rise with the GPUs temp. As of right now, mine is around 47c, it'll go up to around 60s sometimes when I was just testing temps on a whim when playing some of my more demanding games. Plus the difference in price between a heat sink and non-heatsink version is 10 bucks.

Oops, forgot to reply to the RAM part of the post. Reason I was doing that was mainly I don't see myself needing above 32GB, so I went with 4 instead of 2.

Edit: So when I got to looking, the original 4x8gb set has CL16 while the 2x16GB was CL18, both was 3600. Wouldn't that mean the CL18 would be slower? Also, would the EVO have the same issue as the QVO? The EVO I found is a bit cheaper than the Western Digital and apparently has better speeds, so thought I'd ask.

Last edited: