Regular desktop board
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 Ghz
2 sticks DDR2 SDRAM
AMD Radeon HD 3450
Regular SATA HDD (7200 rpm)
DVD-RW/DVD+RW and floppy drive
PCI & USB NIC
2 fans (not sure exact diameter)
A couple of oldish speakers (199x or so) and monitor (of course).

So what I would like to do is max the RAM on the board (to 4 sticks of 2 GB; currently I have 1GB stick and a 2GB stick), remove the PCI NIC (as I don't use it for anything) and MAYBE the DVD-RW/DVD+RW and floppy drive (if it's easy enough but preferably not) and swap the 3450 for a 750 Ti reference.

This is where I get paranoid, because the 3450 says it pulls 75W max. on full load whereas the 750 TI pulls 60W from the wall max. at full load (at least that's what I understand). Seems fine, but would like to know your opinion.

Another problem I have is I dunno if the PSU is 450 or 350W. The PSU itself (included with the case) says it's 450, but the case specs state it's a 350W. Maybe it's because it's a garbage unit and the case manufacturers don't want to fool their customers :p The PSU in question is a DR-8460BTX, by Deer, and from what I read not a very reliable brand. I'm not willing to change the PSU, if possible. If I really have to change the PSU, I'd rather make a whole new build.

Also, the mobo only has PCI-E 1.0 (I think - it's a DG33FB). Would the 750 Ti be compatible and if so, would the bottleneck be serious?

Sorry if it's a load of questions - just wanna get this out of my head.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Solution
The 750Ti is a lower power consumption card. Unless your PSU is like a 200w psu, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's been able to run on some PSUs that are lower than 300w.

tbial

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
Woah, thanks guys! One little detail I forgot to mention is the system is nearly 6 years old. Would this affect in some way the ability of the PSU to run it? Or can I be 100% sure I'll be making a good buy?

There will possibly some form of a bottleneck from the CPU I'd imagine, but nothing that would hinder performance a ton. As for the PSU, it should still be fine I'd imagine. If you're really worried about it, then pick up a better PSU at some point maybe.

Diox55

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

http://store.galaxytechus.com/GALAXY-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-GC-Slim-2-GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30-DVIHDMIVGA-Graphics-CardbrbrBONUS-Low-profile-brackets-now-included-freebrbrFree-Gift-150-In-Game-for-Warface-Path-of-Exile-and-Heroes-of-Newerth_p_90.html

My Optiplex is circa late 08, early 09, and this card runs just fine in it, and will in your rig as well.