[SOLVED] 750 ti on 350 w PSU

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
Hello guys! I have a 350w fsp group inc PSU and I was think you get a 750 ti windforce 4GB OC would the PSU be good for it?
I have i3 2120, 4x4gb RAM and 2 Hdd I think 5,2k rpm I haven’t checked.

Solution
Thank you, it’s just a guy is selling a used 750 ti 4Gb for just 40 euro = 43 dollars and I just don’t have the money to upgrade the PSU, should I risk it with the adapter or better not?

Can you link me the model of that GTX 750ti you're trying to buy?

About the adapter now... since that's a power efficient card, I don't see it drawing over 75W often. The PCIe x16 slot can provide 75W, so the 6 pin aux power will see little use... in this case I'll give a pass for the adapter because it's also a 2 molex to 1 6 pin... the dangerous ones that can literally become a fire hazard are those 1x molex to 1x 6pin or 2x molex to 1x 8pin adapters.

Problems with adapters usually happen on very power hungry cards... that 750ti isn't.
From...
Hello guys! I have a 350w fsp group inc PSU and I was think you get a 750 ti windforce 4GB OC would the PSU be good for it?
I have i3 2120, 4x4gb RAM and 2 Hdd I think 5,2k rpm I haven’t checked.
I only saw one Gigabyte 750 ti that has 4GB memory and it requires a 6-pin PCIe power cable. If your FSP power supply is the 'HEXA 85+ 350W' model it should work since it has one 6-pin connector. If your PSU is a different model and does not have a 6-pin connector you'll need to upgrade the power supply or choose a 750 ti that runs off PCIe slot power only.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatChesix

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
I only saw one Gigabyte 750 ti that has 4GB memory and it requires a 6-pin PCIe power cable. If your FSP power supply is the 'HEXA 85+ 350W' model it should work since it has one 6-pin connector. If your PSU is a different model and does not have a 6-pin connector you'll need to upgrade the power supply or choose a 750 ti that runs off PCIe slot power only.
I have an adapter from 2 molex’s cables to 1 6-pin will that work?

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
I wouldn't use any adapters, they're quite dangerous.

You should be able to run a variant of the 750ti that doesn't require a 6 pin PCIe connector on your PSU as they only have a TDP of 60W.

These 2gb GTX 750ti will work without a 6 pin power connector:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/N750-Ti-2GD5OC.html

or

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/gtx-750-ti-2gb-2
Thank you, it’s just a guy is selling a used 750 ti 4Gb for just 40 euro = 43 dollars and I just don’t have the money to upgrade the PSU, should I risk it with the adapter or better not?

About the adapter now... since that's a power efficient card, I don't see it drawing over 75W often. The PCIe x16 slot can provide 75W, so the 6 pin aux power will see little use... in this case I'll give a pass for the adapter because it's also a 2 molex to 1 6 pin... the dangerous ones that can literally become a fire hazard are those 1x molex to 1x 6pin or 2x molex to 1x 8pin adapters.

Problems with adapters usually happen on very power hungry cards... that 750ti isn't.
From what I know the 6pin aux power for the 750ti was added to give more OCing headroom.

Last edited:
Solution

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N75TWF2OC-4GI#kf this is the card and thank you for helping out.

I was thinking i will upgrade to
SILENTIUMPC ELEMENTUM E2 450W
when i get the money for it.
Thanks for helping out.

Nope... that's a low quality PSU I'm afraid. When you change your PSU you need to make sure that is of decent quality atleast.

The Corsair CX450M is a much better PSU... yes it's more expensive, but having something reliable and not prone to failure is worth the extra cash.

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
Nope... that's a low quality PSU I'm afraid. When you change your PSU you need to make sure that is of decent quality atleast.

The Corsair CX450M is a much better PSU... yes it's more expensive, but having something reliable and not prone to failure is worth the extra cash.
Okay i'll save up for a better one and what do you think of chieftec PSU because i have heard mixed thoughts.

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
I'm from Latvia so the price is quite big for good brands. Corsair CV series PSU 450W (cheapest corsair PSU i can find) will cost me 47 euro = 51 dollars and the cheapest CX series is 60 euro = 65 dollars.
I found a 80 plus bronze Thermaltake and i think i will buy that one.

I'm from Latvia so the price is quite big for good brands. Corsair CV series PSU 450W (cheapest corsair PSU i can find) will cost me 47 euro = 51 dollars and the cheapest CX series is 60 euro = 65 dollars.
I found a 80 plus bronze Thermaltake and i think i will buy that one.

Thermaltake has a pretty bad reputation for making some terrible PSUs... only their high end models are decent.

What Thermaltake PSU do you intend to buy?

Corsair CX is much better than CV.
Under $60 you won't find anything decent I'm afraid.

Don't cheap out on the PSU, because in case of failure a low quality unit might take out other components with it... it's basically the most important part of your system.

Can you also link a website from where you intend to buy?

Last edited:

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020
Thermaltake has a pretty bad reputation for making some terrible PSUs... only their high end models are decent.

What Thermaltake PSU do you intend to buy?

Corsair CX is much better than CV.
Under $60 you won't find anything decent I'm afraid.

Don't cheap out on the PSU, because in case of failure a low quality unit might take out other components with it.

Can you also link a website from where you intend to buy?
THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 450W
it's 80 plus bronze and it has 4.5 stars on the online store.

THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 450W
it's 80 plus bronze and it has 4.5 stars on the online store.

Don't take those reviews too seriously.

It's a low quality PSU... yeah it will work with your current configuration, but when you'll want to upgrade the system down the road you'll probably need to change it again.

Also, that Thermaltake is only a 396W PSU in reality, because that's how much it supplies on the +12V rail... your main power hungry components will draw power from this rail.

My advice is just to save your money and get something decent that you'll still be able to use after eventual upgrades.

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020

It's a low quality PSU... yeah it will work with your current configuration, but when you'll want to upgrade the system down the road you'll probably need to change it again.

Also, that Thermaltake is only a 396W PSU in reality, because that's how much it supplies on the +12V rail... your main power hungry components will draw power from this rail.
Okay, thanks for the help, i'll just save up for a better PSU.

MatChesix

Commendable
Apr 3, 2020

My advice is just to save your money and get something decent that you'll still be able to use after eventual upgrades.
I found a corsair PSU but is CV series should i Buy it ?

I found a corsair PSU but is CV series should i Buy it ?

Corsair CV PSUs still uses an old design... it's a group regulated unit. It's better than the Litepower for sure, though.

The Corsair CXM uses the newer DC-DC double forward topology which is a much better design when it comes to voltage stability in certain circumstances.

My opinion still stands... the Corsair CX/CXM would be my choice.
The CV is mediocre, but if you're on a really low budget... I guess it'll work.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatChesix