[SOLVED] 750w enough OC i7 9700k

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hi I am building a new computer i7 9700k I am getting 750 watt PSU is that enough to overclock the i7 9700k or do I need more than 750? Thank you

Components
I7 9700k noctua d15 MSI RTX 2070 super gaming x, MSI z390 a pro mobo, g skill 3600 megahertz 16 gig two channels, SSD Samsung m.2 500 gig 970 Evo plus.

Solution
I think R_1 got it from the very recent Toms Hardware review of the EVGA G5 where that was given as one of the reasons for the lack of brillance compared to the earlier G3 version......

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

I think we're looking at poor wording.

ANY PSU imported from China to the US is going to be impacted by tariffs.

So if you're comparing a G3 that was in the U.S. before the tariffs (new old stock) versus G5's that landed in the US after the tariffs, then the G5 is not a good value.

But besides that, the G5 just isn't as good of a PSU. Tariffs or not tariffs. I also never assume Tom's Hardware users are US based (I find they're typically not)...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
that is a 95W chip.
what are the rest of the parts in the system?
unless you are running dual video cards 650 is more than enough and 550W would be enough for the vast majority of us with a single card.
which unit, they are not alike. some 750W units can barely put out 500. quality is king when it comes to a PSU.

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
that is a 95W chip.
what are the rest of the parts in the system?
unless you are running dual video cards 650 is more than enough and 550W would be enough for the vast majority of us with a single card.
which unit, they are not alike. some 750W units can barely put out 500. quality is king when it comes to a PSU.
Sorry just edited it please see above thank you

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
look to the G3 or the G2. the G5 due to tariffs and a manufacturer change is not up the the quality of the previous versions.
for those units I would get the 750 for the simple reason that iw will have a longer warranty than the lower wattage units. 10 years vs 7. speaking about the G2 or the G3 units again

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Is the G3 showing hydraulic bearing fan 130 mm and the g+ is showing fluid bearing fan 135 mm in this case with a bigger fan I'm assuming better and quieter how about the bearings fluid or hydraulic?

Are you actually looking at EVGA's website or some reseller's website?

Where are you located?

What? Where did you get that line of crock? Tariffs has nothing to do with EVGA's PSU quality spiraling downward.

I think R_1 got it from the very recent Toms Hardware review of the EVGA G5 where that was given as one of the reasons for the lack of brillance compared to the earlier G3 version......

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/evga-supernova-750-g5-power-supply,6344.html

I think we're looking at poor wording.

ANY PSU imported from China to the US is going to be impacted by tariffs.

So if you're comparing a G3 that was in the U.S. before the tariffs (new old stock) versus G5's that landed in the US after the tariffs, then the G5 is not a good value.

But besides that, the G5 just isn't as good of a PSU. Tariffs or not tariffs. I also never assume Tom's Hardware users are US based (I find they're typically not), therefore tariffs do not play a role.

Not sure why you have to get an EVGA branded PSU, but if you do, the G3 is the only good choice in the U.S. It's a shame they're out of G2's. That one is better. But soon all of the G3's will be out of stock too since EVGA severed their relationship with Superflower.

Reactions: vMax
Solution