[SOLVED] 750w i9 9900k rtx 3080 tuf oc

sylux28054

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
Hello I’m planning on upgrading to a rtx 3080 tuf. I have i9 9900k with a Corsair 2 fan water cool with msi z390 pro mobo. 3 fans in case. I was wondering if a 750 w psu would be enough? Thanks

Solution
Those wattage numbers are an exaggerated estimation to cover the company's behind. There's so many different hardware combinations out there, with no reasonable way to test total power consumption.
I could look at that recommendation like so:
A 3960X + 3080 + 8 full dimm slots + rainbow vomit everywhere + two M.2 + 4HDDs + 6 fans + hybrid cooler =
A good 850w unit would cover an extreme setup like that. You can get away with less than 850w.

sylux28054

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
HI @sylux28054

Entirely depends on the make & model of PSU. A 750w is what nVidia advises, but I would not use a cheapo brand with your current system.

More info please.
It’s a Corsair cx750 I’m only asking because asus said 850w idk why it requires more than the others even the msi gaming still requires 750w. I don’t want to upgrade psu but don’t want to undervolt anything the other option to get founder edition. I think the Corsair is pretty decent

Last edited:
That's not something I'd feel comfortable running a 700USD+ gpu with...
RM, RMX, on the other hand, (y)

I don't get it.
Some people are ok with running 500USD+ gpus with under 100USD psus, but run a cpu at 80C, and it's Panic City...

Totally agree with that and the fact that your CX750 needs an upgrade.

@Phaaze88 I know right... people really need to get their priorities straight when it comes to building or upgrading expensive setups with budget PSUs. It's like a plague.

Reactions: Phaaze88

sylux28054

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
Totally agree with that and the fact that your CX750 needs an upgrade.

@Phaaze88 I know right... people really need to get their priorities straight when it comes to building or upgrading expensive setups with budget PSUs. It's like a plague.
Why does the asus tuf require more than the fe and I was previously running a 1080 ti which required less power. I will plan of upgrading them both at the same time

Why does the asus tuf require more than the fe and I was previously running a 1080 ti which required less power. I will plan of upgrading them both at the same time

The RTX 3080 can actually peak up to 400W and that's a lot higher than a 1080ti.

Also, wattage is not necessarily the problem with your current PSU, but quality. With such an expensive build I'd really be looking at an upgrade from that budget PSU.

Reactions: Archaic59

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those wattage numbers are an exaggerated estimation to cover the company's behind. There's so many different hardware combinations out there, with no reasonable way to test total power consumption.
I could look at that recommendation like so:
A 3960X + 3080 + 8 full dimm slots + rainbow vomit everywhere + two M.2 + 4HDDs + 6 fans + hybrid cooler =
A good 850w unit would cover an extreme setup like that. You can get away with less than 850w.

Solution