[SOLVED] 750w psu gold

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Good afternoon,

Will 750w gold corsair RMx modular, brand new out the box be good to power the below system?

5900x
3080 rog strix
240mm corsair h100i platinum rgb
Asus tuf x570
980 1tb pro
2x 16gb of ram sticks 3200mhz
Mastercase h500 Case with argb.

Kind regards,

Ape

Solution
I won't name the company out of respect but its a big one in the UK, it was the live customer service that told me about the stability issues, I might be best contacting them in an email.

Say I do take the lesser speed ram, is it a major deal on the system as a whole or are we talking maybe 10 or 20 less fps ?

Doesn't matter who it is, although smaller companies are probably a bit more up-to-date vs support staff handling live chats.

As logain mentioned, 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen was pretty problematic >2933MHz so, even if they were harking back to their previous experience with 1st & 2nd, a 3200MHz kit doesn't really hold much weight as an argument either.

FWIW, that board has 4266MHz kits verified as working & appearing...

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Hey Barry, I decided since it has to last me 5 years might aswell get as much frames as possible for 1080p and it will help for those new next gen games.

Its the only ram I can get, I have to get a prebuilt, I was told 3200 vengeance will show no difference in fps between 3200 and 3600 to notice, what do you guys say?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Its the only ram I can get, I have to get a prebuilt,

What do you mean "have to get a prebuilt"? Given you're picking the components, I assume this is a building service.... at which point, you should be able to dictate the components going into it. If not, then take your business elsewhere.

Agreed with logain, 3600MHz really should be the aim here.

I was told 3200 vengeance will show no difference in fps between 3200 and 3600 to notice, what do you guys say?

You've also been told that you're unlikely to see any real noticeable difference between the 5900X and 5800X with the 100MHz difference in clocks (since you confirming this is strictly gaming previously, the additional 4c/8t is irrelevant).

To be 100% clear, we won't know definitive power draw numbers on the 5000 chips until the parts release & independent reviews take place. Given a 105W TDP though, the 750W RMx should be plenty.

Reactions: RagedAPE

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Decided to get 5900x for the streaming part in the end. I don't know the fps difference between 3600 and 3200mhz sadly.

I asked them if they can get me higher ram and they said they had problems with stability issues on ram higher than 3200 in the past. Yes its a company that offers choices but not huge choices.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I won't name the company out of respect but its a big one in the UK, it was the live customer service that told me about the stability issues, I might be best contacting them in an email.

Say I do take the lesser speed ram, is it a major deal on the system as a whole or are we talking maybe 10 or 20 less fps ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Doesn't matter who it is, although smaller companies are probably a bit more up-to-date vs support staff handling live chats.

As logain mentioned, 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen was pretty problematic >2933MHz so, even if they were harking back to their previous experience with 1st & 2nd, a 3200MHz kit doesn't really hold much weight as an argument either.

FWIW, that board has 4266MHz kits verified as working & appearing on the QVL.... alongside countless 3600MHz kits.

I wouldn't have any issues if a builder was only prepared to provide kits from the QVL, as they'll be warranting the system (right?!) and using only verified kits gives one less thing to worry about. That's not what they're doing.

We're not talking the difference between 'playable' vs 'unplayable', or anything remotely close....
Example (lots of articles out there) https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

....BUT if there's performance to be had, and you're already forking out for a £500+ CPU and £600+ GPU, don't you want to squeeze as much performance out of it as possible? Especially for the sake of £5-£10 retail price difference between a 2x8GB CL16 @ 3200MHz and 2x8GB CL16 @ 3600MHz?

Reactions: RagedAPE
Solution

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Yes you're both totally right, I need to push it a bit further and see if they can get some 3600. thanks for those links BTW, gonna have a read of them now, learning so much thanks to this site and your help, thank you for both of your time.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nice link, I can see the fps differences looks like 10fps more on the 3600 which id be very happy with, great link. I love watching Steve on his channel.

Might be a little simplistic way to look at it, but you get the idea - there is performance there. Whether it's relevant, measurable or not.... a PC builder shouldn't be directing you away from that without a solid rationale.... Of which there is none, given there are verified kits for the board that'll work 'plug & play'.

There is another benefit to kits on the QVL beyond simply 'they work', and it's mentioned in the article - secondary/tertiary timings. Kits that have been verified, the board knows what to do with them beyond XMP. Kits that haven't, the board will take a good guess (in line with XMP), but will err on the side of caution, typically.

So, even if a kit 'works' that's not on the QVL, otherwise has the same listed primary timings as a kit on the QVL, the QVL kit will likely perform a little bit better.