[SOLVED] 750W PSU good enough for this build?

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Link to build:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Js6mV6

Ryzen 3900x
EVGA GTX 1080ti
16GBx2 3200
1TB WD HDD
1TB WD SSD
I'll be using the pc for mainly 3d modelling and rendering, but gaming on the side.

I've been looking at various posts here and via google and it seems getting a 750W power supply is the safest bet so far (I'm looking at the EVGA 750W G3)...

ca.pcpartpicker says draw estimate is 509W, but I just want to be on the safe side if I ever upgrade my graphics card down the line.

Solution
509W at full GPU and full CPU and everything else at max power consumption.
most of the time the power used will be under 200W. the 750 is plenty, the unit you chosen is a great one.
enjoy.

the power consumption trends have been towards lower wattage generation after generation in CPU and GPU's. unless the trends reverse 750W will be enough for you for the length of the PSU warranty (10 years for the G3 unit above)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
509W at full GPU and full CPU and everything else at max power consumption.
most of the time the power used will be under 200W. the 750 is plenty, the unit you chosen is a great one.
enjoy.

the power consumption trends have been towards lower wattage generation after generation in CPU and GPU's. unless the trends reverse 750W will be enough for you for the length of the PSU warranty (10 years for the G3 unit above)

Solution

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
I also currently have a 750W for my now-aging computer and it freezes, then restarts during CPU/RAM heavy workloads.
You think this might be a power supply problem? It could also only be a CPU/RAM problem
(This is a bit off topic, but I guess its worth asking here)

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I also currently have a 750W for my now-aging computer and it freezes, then restarts during CPU/RAM heavy workloads.
You think this might be a power supply problem? It could also only be a CPU/RAM problem
(This is a bit off topic, but I guess its worth asking here)

which 750W PSU? how old is it? they are not made/age equally.
the EVGA W1 or B1 series are hard passes every day, low quality entry units. theEVGA G series are the other end of that spectrum. tried and true high quality units.

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
which 750W PSU? how old is it? they are not made/age equally.
the EVGA W1 or B1 series are hard passes every day, low quality entry units. theEVGA G series are the other end of that spectrum. tried and true high quality units.

I bought it in...2013 or 2014 but its an EVGA 750 B2
The freezing/crashing/restarting problem hasnt occurred for a few days now but my CPU wont go higher than 3.4 ghz on an intel 4670k, not even on high performance with maximum processor state set to 100% so maybe its a cpu problem which wont bother me after I build the new PC (since I'll be using the new one for heavy workloads.

Mystos

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Since all the warranties are probably void by now, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my current PC after building the new one...
Might hold onto it as a backup in case something ever goes wrong with the new one I guess

TRENDING THREADS