Question 750W Sufficient for RTX 3080?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a super quick question, is a 750W PSU sufficient for an RTX 3080? Or whatever its likely successor will be (say RTX 4080, just want an educated guess)? I can't afford one yet due to ridiculous pricing but will surely upgrade somewhere down the line.

Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not go Seasonic. Love those psus, excellent build. They just seem to have issues with ampere cards and the uber high transient spikes that can see North of 500-550w before gpu power limits pull it back down. Has a strong tendency to trip protections in the Focus/Prime series unless you go way overboard on wattage.

I'd go with Corsair HX/i instead if looking at Platinum rated psus, or at least an RMx/RMi in Gold.

Reactions: RagedAPE

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@Karadjgne Would you consider the Corsair HX/i series to be of comparable quality? Are they the best of the best pretty much more or less? I'm thinking 850W for some head room. This is my last component to shop for, getting excited about building this bad boy!

Last edited:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah Corsair xh/hxi are beasts. I have both HXi 750w (for my girlfriend's build) and a 1000w for my current build and they have never let me down. At almost 700w power draw (the 1000 one) the voltage never goes down more than 11.92 V on the 12v rail. Only complaint i have about em is that the cables are not sleeved but they're those flat ones, which is a bit of a shame since they are premium PSUs.

Last edited:

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
@David0ne86 Thanks, I only see HX here. What's the other model prefix?

Also one thing I forgot to mention one thing that appealed to me about the Seasonic Prime TX series is it was Lambda-A++ noise rated which is as good as it gets. Are these Corsair Platinum PSUs rated similar for noise?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah they're absolutely quiet. The other model adds an i to HX. So HXi. The HX and hxi difference is all on the fact that the hxi can be connected to the motherboard via a USB 2.0 port and then control all it's settings via Corsair proprietary app (icue). The build quality and everything else is the same.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Nope, me neither. Guess it's out of production then. Pretty sure you can still buy them from other places tho. Most likely they decided to keep the hx since apparently they can be controlled by icue too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020072-NA

With the inclusion of iCue digital circuitry to monitor/control the psu, things like switching single/multi rail are internal whereas on the HX it's a physical switch in the back of the unit. The iCue allows for setting fan curves, on/off limits for the passive mode temps, rail monitoring etc. Many couldn't be bothered with that kind of information, it's another cae to wire, takes up another USB2 port that may not exist in their pc, etc.

One reason why it's fine by me to have standard cables is that if I was going to use a unit such as the HX/i series in a pc, I'd want to use custom sleeved, color co-ordinated cables anyway, so paying a few $ extra for sleeved cables I'd not use is a waste. Being fully modular, I'm not worried about hiding unused cables, so clutter is minimized. Not everyone is ok with plain black sleeves. Black/red used to be the color of choice, today it's white or white/blue, so black sleeves make little sense.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not be unhappy with a HX, except it won't fit in my case, but mine is a Corsair platinum. It was easy to deal with and is so efficient that other than at boot periods the fan doesn't even run. So consider me biased, but the 850w would be very good, plus there are differences in models and you could end up with a 3080 FTW3 or a nvidia reference, so a little headroom for variance isn't going to hurt.

Or you could get pre-made full kits.