Question 7567 fan squeaks when turns off

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
I have been having some problems with my Inspiron 7567, to the point where I did a clean install. Since then when ever the fans stops and sometimes when they start up I hear a chirp/squeak noise.

I don't think its the hardware, because since the noise started, I've swapped motherboard, heatsink, CPU and GPU fans. I am wondering if the clean install deleted some sort of voltage regulater software?

Also, I have swapped the CPU fans 5 times on this laptop, because the fan keeps buzzing, wondering if there's some sort of defect associated with this fan.

Does anyone know the cause of these issues?

Ralston18

Titan
May be more of a design issue than a defect per se.

When a fan spins up (and likewise spins down) there are all sorts of forces at play.

Basically the fan moves and may move differently with respect to rpms and temperatures (affecting expansion contraction). Even how the laptop is sitting could make a difference.

If the fan/laptop is warm to hot then expansion has probably occurred. Then there is more of a chance that as the fan slows and moves due to the forces involved a blade(s) may come in contact with the case and you hear the resulting chirp/squeak noise. Not at all uncommon with respect to many machines or any sort.

Could simply be due to some rpm and physical positioning causes an audible squeak.

Buzzing could likewise be a result of the design and other factors such as resonance, component vibrations.

Since you are able to swap out components etc. I suggest opening the case and taking a very close look all about, especially in the areas of the fans. Check for loose screws, signs that the host case is maybe a bit deformed or improperly squared up. Maybe just a piece of tape in the right place could change things.

I noted a number of YouTube videos regarding the disassembly of the 7567. If possible just watch a few. You may note some difference between you laptop and the laptop being worked on. The difference may be relevant.

csaxon

Prominent
Jun 5, 2018
When I open the back of the case and have the fans run, it still makes that noise and I can't see it hitting anything.

The squeak noise first started after a clean install (both fans make it). Before that it did not make the noise, that's why I wondered if it was a software issue.

For the buzzing noise, its worse when the laptop is being moved. However I don't think its a lose component as all 5 CPU fans have issues (although some fans are worse than others). The fan in not lose either. The GPU fan is fine apart from the squeak when it turns off. If the issue is warped plastic in the chassis, would the fan be wobbly?

I will say that this laptop does produce a fair amount of electrical noise, the motherboard/RAM (I can't tell which is the cause) is constantly crackling. I can reduce that noise by disabling c-state, but it does not fix the squeaky fan noise or the CPU fan buzzing.