75hz Monitor Cant Do 1080p @75hz, will HDMI work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I just recently bought an AOC g2260vwq6 75hz gaming monitor and found out that it cant actually run at 1080p 75hz. Well, it can but when I tried doing a custom resolution from the intel control panel with 1080p 75hz the screen ends up having two large black bars at the sides of the screen which isn't ideal. I'm thinking that the problem is that I'm using VGA and I am going to get a new cable soon anyways since I have a GTX 1050 which I cant use right now because of that but I would prefer going with HDMI instead of DisplayPort since it's only $10 and DP is about $20 at the place I bought the monitor. The question is would HDMI allow me to do 1080p 75hz properly right away? I heard that on some monitors it still wont work but I don't mind doing a custom resolution in NVidia control panel if I need to though I'm also open to other suggestions.

EDIT: Tested a custom resolution of 1920x1080 @75hz in NVidia control panel with my old GT 730 connected with VGA and it was just fine, no black bars. I'll probably still buy DisplayPort over HDMI anyways since it'll be more reliable.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Yeah, I realize it is pretty pointless to use an NVida graphics card with it but I got it anyways since it was the cheapest monitor over 60hz. I know that displayport will most likely work but I want to know if hdmi will be fine for just using the monitor for 75hz and not freesync.

McNuggz

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks, had no idea that 1.4 wouldn't support 75hz. Though I'm still curious whether or not making a custom resolution would make it work at 75hz just in case of the rare situation where I cant find a DP cable.

DSzymborski

Titan
And it doesn't necessarily mean that the monitor will support it any case. It's not some automatic spec. For example, all monitors with G-Sync have the HDMI capped at 60 FPS no matter what HDMI version.

The best way to get an answer would be asking about the specific hardware in question. Much better than necroing an old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.