75Hz Monitor Stuck At 60Hz

talimbaalinstefan

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
I recently got an ASUS VG245HE that advertises 75Hz but for some reason it is stuck at 60Hz and i don't know why.
Specs :

Nvidia Gforce Gtx 750Ti
Amd A8-7650K Radeon 3.29GHz
8GB Ram

I personally think my pc should handle 75hz at 1080p and i don't know why i can't reach that ammount without overclocking it.
I connect my monitor trough a vga cable that came with the monitor if that is any help.
Another question is that can it damage my monitor if I overclock my monitor to 75hz even tho it was supposed to be 75hz in the first place? Thoughts?

no it (your PC) won't really handle 75hz at 1080p. The hardware isn't good enough At least if your looking at high in game settings. Lowering the game settings, and turning of AA/AF/Motion blur and post processing effects will increase your frame rates. But this will be game dependant. Light games should be okay, anything demanding and your gonna struggle. you may be able to touch 75hz with lower settings, but the GPU is your biggest problem, closely followed by your CPU. You need to manage your expectations :)

edit: this will give you an idea of performance to be expected : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-9.html

keep in mind the CPU (even though it's ancient) in this review is much better than yours.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
It could be your HDMI cable limiting the refresh rate to 60Hz. Freesync monitors aren't limited to 60Hz.
(Edit)
Ah, I didn't notice you have an Nvidia card. :)
You're obviously best off switching to the good red team and get an AMD card to enable Freesync. \o/

br00n0

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi, your monitor supports AMD FreeSync as NVidia cards support G-Sync. So your monitor is not compatible with your video card, you will not be able to go higher than 60Hz.

Furthermore, the VGA connector cannot support either FreeSync or G-Sync. You need to use a HDMI or DisplayPort cable to go higher than 60Hz.

You can return your monitor, if possible, but G-Sync monitors are a bit more expensive. With a GTX 750Ti, getting a G-Sync monitor will probably not satisfying either. If you don't plan to upgrade your video card soon, you might be better off with a regular, non-sync monitor.

Good luck!

WildCard999

Titan
It should work at 75hz, even my Freesync monitor works at the rated refresh rate with a Nvidia GPU. Try a different cable or HDMI cable and see if that option shows up. Another option is to go into the Device Manager and update the monitor drivers to see if that helps.

talimbaalinstefan

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Got it as a gift and i think it should be 75hz without freesynch too, that's what i got told at least

Will it stil damage my monitor if i overclock it to 75hz if it was already supposed to be like that?

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

it should be an option in the setting of the monitor itself.

talimbaalinstefan

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

It isn't..

rontonomo

Honorable
Jun 26, 2016

use a display port cable

talimbaalinstefan

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

I don't have a display port cable, i only have an hdmi, but i need an adaptor to hook it up with the pc and i think it isn't working

WildCard999

Titan

It's probably that VGA adapter that's causing your issue.

talimbaalinstefan

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017