7600 GT temperature

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I installed yesturday Supreme Commender and after less then an hour i received a messege taht said GPU temp to high, by the time i started everest to see the temperatures, it droped to about 90 degrees... I played a lot of games and never received that message. I wonder what temereture triggered that. I searched the internet for normal 7600 GT load temps and there are a lot of different opinions. I also found this:

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ in the download section

When i run that my GPU temp rises to about 95 degreec C (no message appeares). Is that tempereature normal?

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Men I am worried because my temps after a NFScarbon session rise to high 40´s. Just checking, How good is your psu? I think it does meet the minimum requirements of the card, but if you have a crappy psu it could blow the psu or even your computer (you have to believe me it really happened to me). Second, you can install an alternative cooler, such as zalman vf700. Is not that cheap but is worth it. Silence, men, silence and cooling power, easy installation. About the other stuff It will give it a try later.
Cheers

Olmecoid

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Men I am worried because my temps after a NFScarbon session rise to high 40´s. Just checking, How good is your psu? I think it does meet the minimum requirements of the card, but if you have a crappy psu it could blow the psu or even your computer (you have to believe me it really happened to me). Second, you can install an alternative cooler, such as zalman vf700. Is not that cheap but is worth it. Silence, men, silence and cooling power, easy installation. About the other stuff It will give it a try later.
Cheers

Olmecoid

40????? When i am in the desktop my GPU stays at about 60. Anyway you never answered my question .

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
weilin is right, if you are at 90´s at iddle you are reaching the thermal resistance of your gpu. How do I know this, I checked EVGA FAQS and somebody had the same problem. The answer, in short, is that 90´s is to hot for your gpu. Having say that you can check if the problem appears only when you are playing, and with which games exactly. The psu stuff is not a bad advise, men it really can kill not only your gpu, but all your pc. My temps are that low because I changed the stock cooler (it was noisy as a jet) for a zalman vf700.
8)
Hasta la vista, baby

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
weilin is right, if you are at 90´s at iddle you are reaching the thermal resistance of your gpu. How do I know this, I checked EVGA FAQS and somebody had the same problem. The answer, in short, is that 90´s is to hot for your gpu. Having say that you can check if the problem appears only when you are playing, and with which games exactly. The psu stuff is not a bad advise, men it really can kill not only your gpu, but all your pc. My temps are that low because I changed the stock cooler (it was noisy as a jet) for a zalman vf700.
8)
Hasta la vista, baby

Man,my GPU at idle it's 60 C, in Supreme Commander it goes for 90 and in when i run this Real Time HDR Image-based lighting it reaches 95 C!!! I read somewhere that the 7600 GT GPU slows down when it reaches 115!!! I also read that 90 degrees is ok, and that others say that it isn't. I'l do some more digging since no one is helping. 10x

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have already taken the card out and cleaned it, it was full of dust, the fan too and now at idle it's 48 C, thanks for the advice anyway.

EDIT:
Wow... i ran that Real time HDR lighting program and it doesn't go over 74 C. (it reached 96 before) IT'S AMAZING WHAT A LITTLE DUST CAN DO. I can't believe it.

I have another question though, Yesterday i let the GPU under load for about an hour at 95 C. What could have happened? or what could still happen? Is it possible that i have weakened something on my Graphics card?

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Sometimes is the most simple stuff. Nevertheless, you can take out the heatsink, clean the thermal paste apply new and get all together again. HEAT CAN KILL YOUR GPU, get it?, HEAT CAN KILL YOUR GPU.

see ya

8)

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I know it can :) I burnt some IC's in school projects but i am wondering if i pushed the GPU to the limit without breaking it then went back to normal if there will be side effects... I think that it could shorten the life. I know that if one single transistor in the GPU mailfunctions it is possible that the whole GPU will be scrap or maybe screen artefacts may apear that can't be fixed.

I am still in waranty with my graphics card. I wander if i'll lose the waranty if i reaply therma paste.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
1) Yea you will void the warranty
2) you can download atitool (it works also with nvidia cards). Install it and you can check for artifacts.
3) I mean it, never trust stock coolers (either for a gpu or cpu). The difference between iddle and load in your card is truly big. I have a EVGA 7600 gt with a zalman vf 700 and the difference between iddle and load are just 6-8°C not 26°C. GPus and CPus last longer if they have adequate cooling. Besides you can get rid of the noise of the stock cooler. If you want to explore some options try www.frozencpu.com. Also if you are in to Zalman stuff check their site, they post the compatible and incompatible cards lists for each product and they have also installation movies.

Hasta la vista baby

8)