7600gt --> 3850-Performance Issues

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I just got my 3850 put in, everything went smooth, took my 3D mark 05 from 5970 to 10250.
I also have 2Gbs of Memory, a AMD X2 3800+ @2.2GHz.
But after playing some games like TF2, Half Life 2, CS:S, I noticed the frame rates have not increased, if anything slightly lowered. While my 7600gt did get 60fps, I was at least expecting a noticeable jump in frame rates. Although I could turn up the prettys in Crysis from Low to Medium and maintain 25+ fps.

Anybody have ideas why I did not have a noticeable performance jump?
My drivers are the 7.12.

EDIT: I tried the overdrive option and it put my GPU at 759 and my Memory at 1104. My Idle temp is 45 and and hour of Crysis is 55. ATI Tool just hangs up and stops responding before it loads. Ideas?

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Did you change the settings on those games?

You mentioned that you turned up some settings in crysis, and maintained the same fps as you had with the 7600gt at lower settings. This suggests that it is not a hardware problem, as well as a driver problem.

Are you sure you did not change the settings in those other games?

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
did you clean out all the old nvidia drivers, also it might require a reinstall of your OS, when i upgraded from fx 5500 to 6600gt it did the same thing until i reinstalled xp, even thoug they were both nvidia cards.

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007

Ah, I forgot about that. Run driver cleaner, or something close.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

If that does not work, then I suggest a reformat. Besides, it always good to reformat about one a year. Yes, it is a pain in the ass, but the system will respond better. Also, if you defrag about once a week, you can prolong the time between reformats (unless you change chipsets often, then you are SOL).

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I just installed Windows XP Professional x64 about a month ago. I did uninstall the Nvidia drivers, think there still might be junk somewhere?

4745454b

Titan

Things do run faster, as your 3DMark score went up, and you could turn up the details on Crysis. If what I've bolded is true, then the answer lies not with drivers or reinstalling windows (are you guys serious????) but with Vsync. If Vsync is on, then your frame rates are limited to the refresh rate of your monitor. (For LCDs, this would be 60Hz.) Either increase the refresh rate, or turn off Vsync.

Perhaps the CPU may be a bottleneck.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'm going to go with it being V-Sync, unless you say otherwise. Since Crysis went up and your 3Dmark score is up, make sure V-sync isn't enabled on those games. There's also other games that limited to frames no matter what, although none of the games you have mention do such a thing, at least not at that level.

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ok Emergency time.
Woke up this morning, fied up the PC and after maybe 5 minutes, I opened CS:S and got a black screen, nothing happened.
THis happened 2 more times.
I tried to lower the clock speeds, hit the test custom clocks button and I got an orange striped screen. After yet another reset I got to my desktop and got a blue striped screen.

What the heck is up guys, is it a bad card?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ack, could be. You didn't mention you had overclocked the GPU. What temps was the GPU running at when you ran 3dmark06? Looks like it the card made a huge diff in your system since your scores went up.

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Please write the brand and model... The important thing is how much amps do you have on your 12V rail...
Some 350W PSUs are more powerful than some 500W...

If I'll think of anything else I'll let you know

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006

That really does not explain my current issue, I unconnected the IDe drive a few fans and my lights an it is still giving me the striped screen.

Bad Card?
Bad PSU?
If it is the PSU can you recommend one around $50, or should I get the card replaced first?

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
If I recall correctly, Apevia is a tier 5 psu, IE: one to stay away from at all costs. So, it could be a bad psu. If possible try using a different psu.

Also, try using another video card. If the other new card works, then rma the 3850 for a new one. If not, try a different psu. If the 3850 works with the new psu, then the apevia is to blame. If not, then rma the 3850.

Even if the psu is not to blame, I recommend getting a new one soon.

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, its working again, no idea why. If this occurs again I will get a different 3850.
In the meantime I know that my PSU is a POS. Can anybody recommend a good PSU for cheap, preferbl under $50? If there is a significant jump in performance for only a few more dollars I suppose i could let that fly.
If it could be a bit future proof too, maybe have the potential for a q6600? or dual 6 pin?
Thanks for the time guys,
Jake

parawizard

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Grab one form the www.ncix.com boxing sale. There are some great nice corsair ones on for under $100! Else I would take a look at the Antec Sonata III case/psu combo its a great quiet case with a seasonic built 500 watt powersupply.

Edit: Hmmm no boxing day sale for the US site? Hmmm maybe better off checking out the Antec Sonata III case then :)

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
cpu 1.2? I just downloaded 3dmark05 and Ran it with my 7600gt, then with my 3850. So is there a definite cause of my issue with the odd striped screen appearing?

My CS:S fps is still not much above 60 with v-sync disabled, I'm figuring it must be a game limitation.

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Corsair, is made by seasonic, so both brands are good. pc power and cooling are good as well. Silverstone are good, FSP/Forton Source are good. I have heard antec is ok. Thermaltake is ok, but they usually have weak 12v rails.

For the supplies with more than one 12v rail look for total watts on the 12v rail. take the wattage and divide by 12 to get the total amperage.
Look for more than 24amps on the 12v rail combined.
Look at the tiers for good brands:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=39758
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088
Do not rely on only one tier list.
Also, here is a great forum for PSU information:
http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3