760k w/ R7 260x or Kaveri 7850K by itself?

Nekrovar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
I'm currently building a low budget gaming rig that will play most things at least at a medium level for a person who casually games. I've read the article on here about the 760k w/ R7 260x build and I have also read a thread about a person wanting to choose either of these two options.

In terms of upgrading later on and keeping to a low budget, would just sitting with the Kaveri 7850k for now be better than spending about $20 more for the 760k w/ R7 260x build? I'm seeing this in terms of gaming performance for the money.

It's hard to find good charts for the Kaveri 7850k for gaming alone without a dual graphics option. I know that currently dual graphics is not that good. I just want to know if Kaveri by itself is any good for casual gaming?

Nekrovar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Funny thing, I just happened to see another thread on this after I posted. I was also thinking in terms of future upgrades for an FM2+ platform and a better CPU for the money a year or so down then road.

I'm planning on the 760k w/ R7 260x or even R7 265. Plus this build seems more fun to tweak and tinker with :)

I agree CPU + GPU (not APU).

APU issues:
1) BANDWIDTH:
Requires very fast DDR3 memory because the GPU shared it or you bottleneck the GPU (2400MHz for the better APU's)

2) COST:
You have to factor in not only the cost of higher-speed DDR3 memory but also the 1GB or 2GB you lose makes a big difference in a low budget build.

So, when you start looking at the VALUE it gets pretty bad for APU's if doing any gaming. I also wonder how many LAPTOPS are bottlenecked by low-speed memory; if an APU can be bottlenecked at 2133MHz what happens with only a SINGLE stick of "1600MHz" memory like many laptops have? That's about 38% of the memory bandwidth!