770 and 1070 partially detected

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Just as the title says, both these cards are sort of detected, but non functioning. I changed out one 1070 i was trading for another and thought I had screwed up the card, but low and behold the same issue occurs with the 770. Cant find a way to copy and paste a screenshot but in gpu-z it sees that the 770 is a PNY, the core clock, the memory speed, but for instance it doesnt see that its a 770 and lists it as 0 memory. Some programs see the card but give errors something like "theres a card there but something isn't right". Afterburner just loads blank....not sure what to try next. The odds of both cards having the same issue seems low (symptoms for the 1070 installed are basically the same, slightly different info in gpu-z) so I'm thinking it has to be the slot on the mobo or a slight possibility of the PSU? any suggested next steps appreciated.

specs:
i5-3570k
asrock extreme4 z77
ripjaw 1600 ddr3

Solution
^ Just do add to that:

1. DDU should always be used in safe mode.

2. Give your graphics card 10 mins to cool off before removal. They can get very hot.

Pretty sure DDU will fix this issue. Sounds like driver malfunction/conflict.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Did you do a full removal of the drivers with DDU, then freshly install the new drivers when you switched the card?

Steps:
1 - Download latest graphics drivers.
2 - Use DDU to remove the existing drivers, using the option to remove drivers and shut down.
3 - Replace card.
4 - Boot up the PC.
5 - Install drivers.

This should take care of the problems.

jr9

Estimable
^ Just do add to that:

1. DDU should always be used in safe mode.

2. Give your graphics card 10 mins to cool off before removal. They can get very hot.

Pretty sure DDU will fix this issue. Sounds like driver malfunction/conflict.

Solution

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I'm at work but I will try this when I get home. Do you really think removing the drivers and reinstalling will do it? They are all gtx, and the original change was from a gigabyte 1070 fe to a msi 1070 Seahawk.

jr9

Estimable
- I wouldn't bother speculating if it will work or not as you have nothing to lose trying. A clean reinstall your GPU drivers is the ideal first step when you are having issues with a graphics cards.

- You tried 2 different 1070 cards and a GTX 770? So 3 cards in total you have issues with?